lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-31-2016, 07:28 PM   #1
slashpine
Getting Wild

Default Seeking general maintenance advice,TXT 36 DCS

I am about to replace the batteries in a 97 TXT 36V DCS cart that I have maintained for the last 12 years+...We bought the cart with a utility box on the back and although I have done a lot of different repairs and general maintenance...I have never removed the box to have access to the motor area...

...Before I replace the battery pack I want to at least inspect ALL the wiring/connections etc...is there anything on or about the motor that I should look at check or test?

The cart has been great and I have never abused it...but it gets a workout...

Also..This is a stock cart that came from a GC lease it has never been modified...are there any simple, no strings tweaks, hacks etc for these carts?
slashpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2016, 07:51 PM   #2
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If replacing the batteries... Check the cables where it comes from the motor around the corner where the battery tray is. The cables can get worn at the location.

check the battery tray for corrosion. Use Por 15 for any rust issues.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:55 PM   #3
slashpine
Getting Wild

Default Re: Seeking general maintenance advice,TXT 36 DCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipsmith521 View Post
If replacing the batteries... Check the cables where it comes from the motor around the corner where the battery tray is. The cables can get worn at the location.

check the battery tray for corrosion. Use Por 15 for any rust issues.

Thanks for the reply...I replaced the battery tray the last time I replaced the batteries...

Are there replacement cable kits (OEM standards) available for the main +/- cables that connect the cart to the battery pack?
Old 12-31-2016, 09:09 PM   #4
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I replaced my DCS cart with 2 guage cables.

Get a set from Scottyb

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-cables.html

skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:26 PM   #5
slashpine
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipsmith521 View Post
I replaced my DCS cart with 2 guage cables.

Get a set from Scottyb

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-cables.html
Yikes ...do they come with class A stock options?...

For my stock cart why wont 4 Ga 360+ strand (made in USA) soldered cables suffice that I can get for less than $20 shipped (set of 5) ??

About $35 for 7 cable set (I guess this answers my question about the other two cables...I have never replaced these...
Old 01-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Seeking general maintenance advice,TXT 36 DCS

A DCS cart has 10 high current cables and all of the OEM cables should be replaced as a set initially, but subsequently, just replacing the 5 that connect the batteries in series and/or the 2 connecting the battery pack to the solenoid & controller is probably okay since they are the ones that corrode the most.

The cart's frame flexes while driving, so no matter how well secured the batteries are, they move a bit relative to each other, so the relatively short interconnecting cables need to be flexible or the studs (Hex head bolts with their heads embedded in soft lead) are stressed physically, which may result in battery post meltdowns. The higher the strand count the more flexible they are.

It may not happen to you, but some people have saved a few dollars on cables only to spend a lot of dollars replacing the batteries damaged by stiff cables.

The F1 & F2 cables only carry up to about 30A with a stock controller, so the OEM cables are adequate and do not need to be replaced unless damaged.

Also, 4Ga cables are adequate for use with controllers up to 500A, but the OEM cables on a 97 EZGO cart are very likely to be 6Ga.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:50 PM   #7
slashpine
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
A DCS cart has 10 high current cables and all of the OEM cables should be replaced as a set initially, but subsequently, just replacing the 5 that connect the batteries in series and/or the 2 connecting the battery pack to the solenoid & controller is probably okay since they are the ones that corrode the most.

The cart's frame flexes while driving, so no matter how well secured the batteries are, they move a bit relative to each other, so the relatively short interconnecting cables need to be flexible or the studs (Hex head bolts with their heads embedded in soft lead) are stressed physically, which may result in battery post meltdowns. The higher the strand count the more flexible they are.

It may not happen to you, but some people have saved a few dollars on cables only to spend a lot of dollars replacing the batteries damaged by stiff cables.

The F1 & F2 cables only carry up to about 30A with a stock controller, so the OEM cables are adequate and do not need to be replaced unless damaged.

Also, 4Ga cables are adequate for use with controllers up to 500A, but the OEM cables on a 97 EZGO cart are very likely to be 6Ga.
Thanks for the reply...
I have been using 4 Ga cables and am prudent on keeping the connections clean, tight and protected with terminal grease...

I will be cleaning re-tightening all the non battery cable connections...

FWIW...In re of your descriptive of stress etc. on battery pack cables etc...This cart is mainly used for utility purposes and as a support vehicle for other tractors and machines etc. on steep, rocky, mountain gravel roads and lanes...other that general maintenance and replacing some worn out mechanical parts...the cart has been like the energizer bunny...

I'll ask again...are there any simple tweaks, hacks etc for a stock TXT DCS 36V cart?...The cart has been so good I hate to change anything but the 'Tool Man Syndrome' has me curious...
Old 01-01-2017, 05:48 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashpine View Post
I'll ask again...are there any simple tweaks, hacks etc for a stock TXT DCS 36V cart?...The cart has been so good I hate to change anything but the 'Tool Man Syndrome' has me curious...
Having a stock DCS controller last for 20 years is remarkable. The DCS controller (Curtis 1206AX) has a fatal flaw, no under volt protection and often failed when the battery pack's charge got too low while out and about.

This problem was exacerbated by installing tires taller than 18" (stock height), which is one of the things many people did to get more speed.

Other than upgrading to 4Ga cables throughout and maybe replacing the stock (85A) solenoid with a higher ampacity one, there are no $imple tweaks.

The stock DCS motor is a good one. It has more torque and less speed than the motor used in the PDS cart that superseded the DCS carts.

---------------
Short list of things that can be done, but will cost several dollars:

Installing an Alltrax XCT48400DCS controller (or larger) and a 200A (or larger) solenoid kicks the cart's top speed into the low 20's on 18" tires and ups the low end torque as well.

Increasing the battery pack to 42V by putting a seventh 6V battery in the open space under the driver's seat, ups the speed and torque some more, plus additional range, but requires a controller, solenoid and charger that work at 42V.

Both the XCT controller and a MZJ400 solenoid can be operated at 36V, 42V or 48V, so only the charger has to be replaced to upgrade to 42V or 48V.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:12 PM   #9
slashpine
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Having a stock DCS controller last for 20 years is remarkable. The DCS controller (Curtis 1206AX) has a fatal flaw, no under volt protection and often failed when the battery pack's charge got too low while out and about.

This problem was exacerbated by installing tires taller than 18" (stock height), which is one of the things many people did to get more speed.

Other than upgrading to 4Ga cables throughout and maybe replacing the stock (85A) solenoid with a higher ampacity one, there are no $imple tweaks.

The stock DCS motor is a good one. It has more torque and less speed than the motor used in the PDS cart that superseded the DCS carts.

---------------
Short list of things that can be done, but will cost several dollars:

Installing an Alltrax XCT48400DCS controller (or larger) and a 200A (or larger) solenoid kicks the cart's top speed into the low 20's on 18" tires and ups the low end torque as well.

Increasing the battery pack to 42V by putting a seventh 6V battery in the open space under the driver's seat, ups the speed and torque some more, plus additional range, but requires a controller, solenoid and charger that work at 42V.

Both the XCT controller and a MZJ400 solenoid can be operated at 36V, 42V or 48V, so only the charger has to be replaced to upgrade to 42V or 48V.
Thanks...All very interesting...just curious...Are they available and if so how much for a stock replacement controller??...if OEM replacement is not available is the Alltrax my only next alternative?...thanks again...
Old 01-01-2017, 06:37 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashpine View Post
Thanks...All very interesting...just curious...Are they available and if so how much for a stock replacement controller??...if OEM replacement is not available is the Alltrax my only next alternative?...thanks again...
I cannot find a listing for new DCS controller on the EZGO site, but even if they had them, it would be foolish to buy one since it is a flawed design and more expensive than the Alltrax replacement that is decades later technology.

The best bang for the buck that I know of: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/alltra...-controls.html

Towards the bottom of the web-page you'll find a XCT controller/solenoid kit including the 400A severe duty solenoid that works at 36V, 42V and 48V that is on sale for $369
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO