lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-01-2017, 07:32 PM   #11
slashpine
Getting Wild

Default Re: Seeking general maintenance advice,TXT 36 DCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I cannot find a listing for new DCS controller on the EZGO site, but even if they had them, it would be foolish to buy one since it is a flawed design and more expensive than the Alltrax replacement that is decades later technology.

The best bang for the buck that I know of: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/alltra...-controls.html

Towards the bottom of the web-page you'll find a XCT controller/solenoid kit including the 400A severe duty solenoid that works at 36V, 42V and 48V that is on sale for $369
OK more good information...thanks...
Hopefully the onboard controller is still OK...won't know until I get the new batteries...

At one time (10 years or so ago) I remember looking into getting a little more speed going up hills (around here it is mostly either up or down a hill) and for some reason about $250 (oem replacement) comes to mind...it was probably something I had seen on e-bay and like I said 10+ years ago.

I also remember buying what was called a "speed chip"...for $3...nothing but a plug with two connectors shorted...I bought it believing the e-bay ad that said "IF" the controller had a Run-Tow,maintenance toggle switch...it would work...my controller has the switch but there was no place to plug in the "speed plug"...!
slashpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2017, 10:37 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashpine View Post
I also remember buying what was called a "speed chip"...for $3...nothing but a plug with two connectors shorted...I bought it believing the e-bay ad that said "IF" the controller had a Run-Tow,maintenance toggle switch...it would work...my controller has the switch but there was no place to plug in the "speed plug"...!
It is the PDS (Curtis 1206MX) controller whose top speed and regen braking level can be altered by jumpering different pins together on a 4-pin plug.

The DCS was EZGO's first attempt at a SepEx (Separately Excited motor) drive system and was only produced from 1995 through 1999. The DCS controller was a high failure item, so Alltrax cashed in on the DCS controller's shortcomings by creating their DCX controller, which is a plug-n-play replacement for the DCS.

The PDS was EZGO's second SepEx drive offering and was introduced in 2000. It eliminated the known bugs in the DCS and added some features. Alltrax responded by creating a wiring adapter so a their DCX controller could by installed in PDS carts and that combination was marketed until early 2015 when they introduced their XCT line of SepEx controllers.

The XCT has short circuit protection on the outputs, user programmable throttle curves and many other features, but performance-wise, there isn't a great deal of difference between a DCX and a XCT in a DCS cart, mostly because the DCS does not have a speed sensor on the motor, however there is a vast difference between a DCX and a XCT in a PDS cart since the controller knows how fast the motor is spinning and the field weakening (Field Mapping) can take into consideration the motor RPM as well as the armature Amps and throttle position when it adjusts the Field Amps to alter the motor's speed/torque curve to meet the real-time demand for torque vs speed.

There are hundreds of PDS carts out there with DCX controllers installed and many of the cart owners are upgrading to XCT controllers, so there are some good, but used, DCX controllers on the market.

Place a WTB (Want to Buy) post in the golf cart parts sub-forum of BGW and you might get lucky.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/golf-carts-parts/
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:23 PM   #13
slashpine
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
It is the PDS (Curtis 1206MX) controller whose top speed and regen braking level can be altered by jumpering different pins together on a 4-pin plug.

The DCS was EZGO's first attempt at a SepEx (Separately Excited motor) drive system and was only produced from 1995 through 1999. The DCS controller was a high failure item, so Alltrax cashed in on the DCS controller's shortcomings by creating their DCX controller, which is a plug-n-play replacement for the DCS.

The PDS was EZGO's second SepEx drive offering and was introduced in 2000. It eliminated the known bugs in the DCS and added some features. Alltrax responded by creating a wiring adapter so a their DCX controller could by installed in PDS carts and that combination was marketed until early 2015 when they introduced their XCT line of SepEx controllers.

The XCT has short circuit protection on the outputs, user programmable throttle curves and many other features, but performance-wise, there isn't a great deal of difference between a DCX and a XCT in a DCS cart, mostly because the DCS does not have a speed sensor on the motor, however there is a vast difference between a DCX and a XCT in a PDS cart since the controller knows how fast the motor is spinning and the field weakening (Field Mapping) can take into consideration the motor RPM as well as the armature Amps and throttle position when it adjusts the Field Amps to alter the motor's speed/torque curve to meet the real-time demand for torque vs speed.

There are hundreds of PDS carts out there with DCX controllers installed and many of the cart owners are upgrading to XCT controllers, so there are some good, but used, DCX controllers on the market.

Place a WTB (Want to Buy) post in the golf cart parts sub-forum of BGW and you might get lucky.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/golf-carts-parts/
More good info...very useful, informative...

Just to be sure can someone ID this controller as stock DCS (is there a model # ?)...where will I find an ID tag? here is a pic:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-002F.JPG (52.1 KB, 0 views)
slashpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:27 AM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The 10 pin connector on top is the giveaway. The series has a 6 pin and the PDS has multiple jacks on the front.

There might be a label on the bottom if there isn't on on the top behind the 10 pin connector.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgoguide.jpg (78.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO