lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-06-2017, 05:30 PM   #1
zurcnet
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1993 E-Z-GO Marathon "Freedom" throttle Issues

Hello everyone, thank you in advanced for your help and suggestions.

I have a 1993 EZGO Marathon "Freedom" model (SN #: 676514)

The cart is in virtually mint condition. I've just installed brand new Duracell GC2 6-volt batteries, but when I am riding it and try to go full throttle is stalls. I can go about 70% speed and go about 16 mph, but once I push any further, the motor just stops. The cables aren't the greatest and already put in an order for new 4-gauge cables, but I am not thinking this is whats causing the problem.

Am I looking at a solenoid issue? Motor issue? Or?

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions / advice.

Additionally, I am looking for a new horn and front lights for this model, can someone point me in the right direction for some aftermarket lights? I only need the lights/wiring, the front base is in great condition and the rear lights are working fine, but I may want to upgrade those to LED.

Thank you,
Mike C.
zurcnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-06-2017, 06:00 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1993 E-Z-GO Marathon "Freedom" throttle Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurcnet View Post
Hello everyone, thank you in advanced for your help and suggestions.

I have a 1993 EZGO Marathon "Freedom" model (SN #: 676514)

The cart is in virtually mint condition. I've just installed brand new Duracell GC2 6-volt batteries, but when I am riding it and try to go full throttle is stalls. I can go about 70% speed and go about 16 mph, but once I push any further, the motor just stops. The cables aren't the greatest and already put in an order for new 4-gauge cables, but I am not thinking this is whats causing the problem.

Am I looking at a solenoid issue? Motor issue? Or?

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions / advice.

Additionally, I am looking for a new horn and front lights for this model, can someone point me in the right direction for some aftermarket lights? I only need the lights/wiring, the front base is in great condition and the rear lights are working fine, but I may want to upgrade those to LED.

Thank you,
Mike C.
I suspect that your battery pack voltage is sagging under the heavy load and that may be causing your stalling issue. Since you already ordered new 4 guage wires, go ahead and change them out. Check all of your cable connections. Check your F/N/R switch contacts. You really don't need excess voltage drop. In the batteries themselves, in the FNR switch, or in the wires. I would have gone with 2 guage wires. Good luck.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:31 PM   #3
zurcnet
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I haven't received the new cables yet (4g), would you suggest cancelling this order and going with 2g better? But I've tried cleaning the contacts as best as I've could on the current (6g) cables. I will definitely try to clean the contacts on the FNR, any specific way to do this that you would suggest? Should I apply some type of electrical grease or the alike after cleaning? Use alcohol to clean contacts or possibly rust removed if there's any surface rust?

Thank you very much for the help!
Old 01-06-2017, 09:19 PM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I haven't received the new cables yet (4g), would you suggest cancelling this order and going with 2g better? But I've tried cleaning the contacts as best as I've could on the current (6g) cables. I will definitely try to clean the contacts on the FNR, any specific way to do this that you would suggest? Should I apply some type of electrical grease or the alike after cleaning? Use alcohol to clean contacts or possibly rust removed if there's any surface rust?

Thank you very much for the help!
If you can change your order to 2 guage wires, it would always be better. Larger cables are more important on lower voltage systems because the effect of voltage drop makes more impact upon an already lower voltage to begin with. Keep the contacts clean, any grease or other residue will decrease contact and increase resistance.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:59 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Marathon = 0-5k throttle. Unplug controller pins 2 & 3 and test those 2 wires with ohm meter set to 20k ohms. I bet your throttle is going over 5k when at full throttle. Lucky for you, they can often be adjusted back into range. Search "adjusting PB-6 throttle".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:24 PM   #6
zurcnet
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you guys for the help. My multimeter is dead, but I cleaned the contacts for the FNR and put on 2g wires I forgot I had. Now it runs to 70% then just stops running between that and 90 and kind of choke cruises between 90-100%.

I have yet to be able to check the controller pins, but gonna try to tonight.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

You are testing the wires that plug into the controller pins 2 & 3, not the controller pins themselves. Sounds like a bad throttle sensor.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:02 PM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thank you guys for the help. My multimeter is dead, but I cleaned the contacts for the FNR and put on 2g wires I forgot I had. Now it runs to 70% then just stops running between that and 90 and kind of choke cruises between 90-100%.

I have yet to be able to check the controller pins, but gonna try to tonight.
That does tend to sound like a defective throttle sensor like cgtech was saying. If it was just from voltage drop, it would not recover pressing the pedal more
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO