lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-07-2017, 11:41 AM   #11
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Customizing my 2003 EzGo TXT PDS-build

good youtube video shows how to replace fwd/rev assembly. I recently replaced mine and its pretty easy
wingnut2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2017, 11:41 AM   #12
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut2000 View Post
good youtube video shows how to replace fwd/rev assembly. I recently replaced mine and its pretty easy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2KCVRuhmoM
wingnut2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #13
toothninja
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Mutant- So, I ordered a new controller and solenoid and cables from ScottyB earlier today, so they should be coming in soon. He was very helpful in helping me determine what I need for what I'd like to accomplish and save me from future replacement.

Johnnie B, for my battery packs, I didn't realize that they hold a surface charge, so I will need to unplug them and check them out tomorrow. But I'll be able to check the "at rest" charge in a bit, after I take it for a spin around the block.
As for checking the switch, is there a labeled picture, because I have not figured out the J1 Pin lingo with regards to the cart yet...I am working on it though! :thumb:

WingNut- thanks for the link to the video link, but my cart is a PDS, so I have a switch on the dash, not under the seat...

Next question:
I've heard people discussing power washing the cart, inside and out...is this ok? even the battery compartment?? what about when you remove the environmental cover, since I assume it will not be going back on with the upgraded controller and such? I like the idea of blasting the sh...err, stuff, out of the compartment but want to make sure it's ok to do so.
toothninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:58 PM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I'd avoid the solenoid, controller, all microswitches, dashboard, and the floormat, as the ITS doesn't like to get wet.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:06 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothninja View Post
Johnnie B, for my battery packs, I didn't realize that they hold a surface charge, so I will need to unplug them and check them out tomorrow. But I'll be able to check the "at rest" charge in a bit, after I take it for a spin around the block.
As for checking the switch, is there a labeled picture, because I have not figured out the J1 Pin lingo with regards to the cart yet...I am working on it though! :thumb:
Attached is a schematic for a PDS drive with the solenoid activation circuit highlighted. There is a drawing of the controller at the top of the page that identifies all the jacks and terminals as well is the pin locations by number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothninja View Post
Next question:
I've heard people discussing power washing the cart, inside and out...is this ok? even the battery compartment?? what about when you remove the environmental cover, since I assume it will not be going back on with the upgraded controller and such? I like the idea of blasting the sh...err, stuff, out of the compartment but want to make sure it's ok to do so.
Water and electricity do not play well together.

In the battery compartment and motor area, I use various scrub brushes with baking soda/water solution to neutralize the acid and a Dawn/water solution to cut the dirt & grease. Followed by a thorough rinse with a low pressure/high volume stream from a garden hose without nozzle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS - Solenoid activation traced.jpg (69.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #16
toothninja
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

JohnnieB, the battery pack came in at 38.4 about 24 hours after fully charged. They all registered within 0.04 of one another. But I haven't yet driven them and checked at the 1 hour mark. Will get on that soon enough. But they are charging good! I guess I have to check on the J1 pin 2 and 3 when I'm having the problem, not whenever it's working...that would make sense, so I have to wait on that. Thanks for all of your assistance!
Old 02-08-2017, 06:28 PM   #17
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Your batteries sound good!
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:02 PM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

FWIW:

There are three different types of battery voltage measurements and each has different a different significance.

1. At-Rest. Usually used to calculate the SoC (State of Charge) and is handy for troubleshooting.
At-Rest occurs from about 12 to 24 hours after charging ceases, or about an hour after discharging ceases.

2. Under-Load. A battery's voltage drops when amps are drawn from it. The typical voltage drop for a 36V battery pack is about 1V per 100A of current draw. Excessive voltage drop usually indicates a bad battery, or excessive resistance somewhere.

However, the resistance in the cables, connections, contacts and controller also drop voltage when amps are flowing, so the apparent drop under load may be 2 or 3 times that amount.

The voltage drop is almost instantaneous, but the voltage recovery is slow, about an hour. When I do range calculations, I only wait about 30 Minutes to get the after voltage.

3. On-Charge. While a charging current is passing through the battery. Starts at whatever the voltage was when the charger is connected and increases to roughly 2.5 VPC (Volts per Cell - 45.0V for a 36V pack) when the legacy type chargers shut off. Modern chargers that us dV/dT (Change in Voltage over change in Time) technology will shut off when the On-Charge voltage ceases to climb (or climbs less than a predetermined amount over a specified time) and will climb above 2.5VPC.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:04 PM   #19
toothninja
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

JohnnieB, your knowledge is much appreciated! Thanks!!
Old 02-09-2017, 02:16 PM   #20
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

i once told jonnieB
i needed to pick his brain about something-

he said,ok-go ahead....

i had to get stitches................that mans brain is pretty sharp!!!
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller, solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO