lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-17-2017, 11:56 PM   #11
Golfer24/7
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Installing battery meter question.

So instead of running the the pos and neg wire to battery pack just splice those wires in with the pos and neg on back of key switch also?
Golfer24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-18-2017, 12:51 AM   #12
bwhitsonjr
Getting Wild

Club Car

I too would like some clarification on this thread...

One wire to the pos, one to the neg, and one to the C?

I wonder why the curtis always reset to 100%?
bwhitsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:11 AM   #13
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The Curtis meter commonly used by EZGO and others is the model 906. When installed at the factory they are wired directly to the battery pack and also to the key switch. They are technically always on. Turning the key on just lights it up so you can read it. If you disconnect one of it's battery connections it will reset to "full" when you hook it back up. For example, when installing a new battery pack the meter is disconnected. When hooking back up to the new batteries it will erroneously read full even though the new pack is likely not fully charged. You have to run a charge cycle or two to reset the meter.
This type of meter does not enjoy a good reputation for accuracy in this forum. I have found it to be useful as long as you understand it's limitations and verify it's display with other means, like a digital meter, hand held or otherwise. It is attractive because it acts like a gas gage. Good for all the women in my house and guests that use the cart.
The digit meters are more accurate but they cycle as the cart is used and they required a rest period to get a good reading of state of charge. The women in my house rebel with ferocity at this concept. I currently use both on my RXV and tell them to ignore the one they don't like.

edit: To my knowledge EZGO doesn't use either of these type meters on the RXV. It is a different animal and modifying it in any way should not be done without consultation with people who have been trained or are otherwise knowledgable of it's intricacies.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:49 AM   #14
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

good info too.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:06 AM   #15
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

What cart?

If RXV hold everything --- NEVER wire to RXV keyswitch.

If TXT disregard this post
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:14 AM   #16
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes TXT.

On my RXV they are wired directly to batteries. No switching. Always on.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:17 AM   #17
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

You can wire the "Keyswitch " wire to the switched power lug onmain sol to grt the same effect as wiring to rxv keyswith without the blown controller thing
Old 02-18-2017, 10:18 AM   #18
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

*&^&*^%^%$&%^$#&$ fatfingering this morning
Old 02-18-2017, 10:36 AM   #19
Rainman4820
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

image.jpg

Last edited by Rainman4820; 02-18-2017 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: Sp
Rainman4820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:41 PM   #20
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Txt already has 2 dedicated wires in the dash put there specifically for the meter. You will just have to make a jumper for the third wire from keyswitch. And the reason the Curtis meter (& it's clones) have the reset issue when power is taken away is because the meter is always watching, but with a delay before it sends changes to the display. This is how it avoids bouncing up & down when loads are applied. It looses its "train of thought" about voltage trends when power is removed. If you hooked a Curtis meter up to a 80% discharged pack, it would display full at first. If you come back in a half hour of the cart sitting (the delay is more like 6 minutes) , the meter will have figured out a closer estimate to display. The Curtis meter is not the best one out there, just likely the most convenient for those who don't care what a volt is, and might be stumped by the term "state of charge". It is vilified because of misunderstanding of its normal habits, and it's behavior of being inaccurate when used with worn out batteries & batteries that are out of balance. Basically, you need good batteries for the meter to be of much use. The digital volt meter has its benefits, it paints a more accurate picture of battery state of charge & overall battery health (overall battery health is something the Curtis meter will not help you wi th) . It's drawback is you have to learn how to use it. When I was running a electric cart, I had both, with the Curtis meter on at all times so I could see a "quick & dirty" estimate at any time.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO