lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-13-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
Coon Urine
Not Yet Wild

Default Installed New F&R Switch 2006 TXT

Labeled wires when hooked up to old switch. Put it on exactly like the old one and when in forward the cart goes backwards and vice versa. I switched the 2 wires on the switch (3 o clock and 9 o clock) and that worked. I did notice it goes faster in reverse than forward. Is there a way to set the switch before wiring it up, or is this the correct way. I tried rotating the linkage bracket but couldnt get it to go on. Last resort was to swap the wires around. Thanks in advance
Coon Urine is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2017, 11:03 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Installed New F&R Switch 2006 TXT

Sounds like you have it right. Faster reverse happens in some motors, it's just a timing issue, no way to take advantage of this unless you want to swap the rear end around - even then most pumpkins are not centered for a reason.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:53 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coon Urine View Post
Labeled wires when hooked up to old switch. Put it on exactly like the old one and when in forward the cart goes backwards and vice versa. I switched the 2 wires on the switch (3 o clock and 9 o clock) and that worked. I did notice it goes faster in reverse than forward. Is there a way to set the switch before wiring it up, or is this the correct way. I tried rotating the linkage bracket but couldnt get it to go on. Last resort was to swap the wires around. Thanks in advance
Coon, so what your saying, that when you put the new f&r in, when you shifter is in F, it goes in R and visa versa....correct? and now that the shifter is correct, it goes faster in R then in forward? is this all correct?

What you may have done is put the shifter linkage back on 180 out where it attaches to the F&R. this would account for everything working correctly when you first hooked it back up, except for the position of the shifter lever. If you swap the 3 o clock and 9 o clock cables back AND then swap the linkage over 180 everything will be back to normal.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:41 AM   #4
Coon Urine
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Coon, so what your saying, that when you put the new f&r in, when you shifter is in F, it goes in R and visa versa....correct? and now that the shifter is correct, it goes faster in R then in forward? is this all correct?

What you may have done is put the shifter linkage back on 180 out where it attaches to the F&R. this would account for everything working correctly when you first hooked it back up, except for the position of the shifter lever. If you swap the 3 o clock and 9 o clock cables back AND then swap the linkage over 180 everything will be back to normal.
Thats what i was thinking. I tried to swap the linkage over but it was a pain in the rear end, and I didnt want to bend the rod to make it line up. Is there an easier way?
Old 03-14-2017, 07:32 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thats what i was thinking. I tried to swap the linkage over but it was a pain in the rear end, and I didnt want to bend the rod to make it line up. Is there an easier way?
If you are doing a simple R&R of the F&R then there should be no bending of the rod needed. If you are bending the rod to make it fit you may have one of the 2 flat bracket on upside down see pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F&R-Exploded-View-for-print.jpg (134.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-14-2017, 09:12 AM   #6
Coon Urine
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
If you are doing a simple R&R of the F&R then there should be no bending of the rod needed. If you are bending the rod to make it fit you may have one of the 2 flat bracket on upside down see pic

Thanks Scotty. This helps. But I never removed any of the brackets. I simply took off old F&R and put new one on. I will try it again this afternoon.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:27 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks Scotty. This helps. But I never removed any of the brackets. I simply took off old F&R and put new one on. I will try it again this afternoon.
Okay - but? You cannot R&R the F&R without removing the lower bracket. A quick glance will tell if the bracket is up side down. Good luck
Old 03-14-2017, 12:09 PM   #8
Coon Urine
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Okay - but? You cannot R&R the F&R without removing the lower bracket. A quick glance will tell if the bracket is up side down. Good luck
You are correct.
Should my shift be in neutral, forward, reverse before installing or does that matter?
Old 03-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I don't think it really matters where the switch lever is positioned.
This biggest tech tip I give my customers is to trace the F&R footprint on the cart floor before removal. Most people do not realize the F&R base bracket is slotted for shifter adjustment.
If this adjustment is off it can cause problems later on if the contacts are not making 100% contact due to misalignment in one direction. If you have partial contact you have the potential for a flow restriction resulting in a hot spot or burnt up contact later on - even though it seems to work okay initially.

So at this point try to see if you can tell where the switch was on the floor originally and put the new one in this exact footprint
Old 03-14-2017, 09:03 PM   #10
Coon Urine
Not Yet Wild

I got it Scotty. Come to find out my father in law had messed with the old one before he gave it to me. When he put the wires back on he reversed them. They are correct now. Thank you
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO