lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2017, 08:04 PM   #1
coop34669
Not Yet Wild

Default Digital voltmeter woes...

I hope I may have just gotten 2 bad out-of-the-box meters. Can't find a name, the model is CGR 111. Lasted 2 days, now dead. Wiring is neg from Batt #1, Pos from Batt # 4 (4 12v batteries). I ran these to the lugs on the back of the switch marked with - and +.

Triple checked, these wires go nowhere else except from batteries to meter. Also ran small jumper from key switch to "K" on the back of meter. This has voltage on it only when key is in "on" position.

Sound right? I guess I am needing opinions on a good name brand, not sure if what I have tried are just China junk or not. ScottyB has an interesting looking deal on a meter and trim plate, it just looks like it's going to always on. If I do want to put a switch on 1 of the wires, would it matter whether I use + or -?

If anyone made it this far, thanks for reading!
coop34669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2017, 08:16 PM   #2
marianol
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Digital voltmeter woes...

You can add a simple switch to the wires. I will put it in the + wire.
I have mine always on and I like it they draw very little current and are a great reminder to hook up the charger when you casually walk by.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
marianol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:00 PM   #3
spotco2
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Here's a link to the wiring diagram for the meter you have. I'm not sure why you are running 2 positive wires to the back of it. It looks like just one is all that is needed.

https://www.golfcartgarage.com/conte...ng_Diagram.pdf

I use one similar to Scotty B's (actually might have come from him, don't remember) and the negative goes to the battery pack and the positive goes to the key switch so that it does not come on until the key is on and the direction switch is pressed to forward or reverse. No need for a secondary switch to turn it on and off.

Even if you just wire it straight to the battery pack, the draw is so minimal that you will never notice it.
spotco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:48 AM   #4
ncrr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

My experience with these meters is not favourable. I went thru 2 of them, each one lasted a month or so, one stopped working, always indicated that the bank charge was good. The other just went dark. If you really want to keep up with your battery bank, get one of the DVM's from Scotty, and hook that up. All you need to watch is the voltage of the bank, and not let it go below 50% State of Charge (SoC). There are many charts here that give those readings for all bank sizes. No need to switch the meter off, as it draws so little you'll never notice it.
ncrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:00 AM   #5
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

I got one from ScottyB at http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html
I got it with the switchplate for my PDS. I added the rocker switch for the meter. I have had it for 5 years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resized-pdsdashclose.JPG (140.5 KB, 0 views)
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:21 AM   #6
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

I put a Blue Sea multimeter on mine. USA made, splashproof and 3 levels of brightness. Can be set to alternate between volts and amps. I had a round hole in my dash so surface mounted it but it can also be flush mounted so only the display shows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (322.8 KB, 0 views)
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:44 PM   #7
coop34669
Not Yet Wild

Marianol, Thanks!

Spotco, option 1 in your diagram is exactly what I did.

Ncrr, Thx for confirming this model is indeed a POS. I am leaning toward Scotty's meter.

Rickochet, That looks pretty cool, I may do just that! Where did you get that sticker with the %?

Dundee, So that Curtis meter, used in conjunction, or just window dressing? I talked with a shop today, he said there is a newer type meter out that shows volts as well as red LED bars like the Curtis. Gonna go see him this week, hard to picture how it looks.
coop34669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:11 PM   #8
Conradconrad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

+1 for the ScottyB DVM with switch plate. Mine fit perfect and I have it always on. Power draw is minimal and it's great to be able to see the state of charge at any moment in time.
Conradconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:44 PM   #9
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop34669 View Post
Rickochet, That looks pretty cool, I may do just that! Where did you get that sticker with the %?
I did it in MS Word. Just print it out and laminate it and glue it on with Googlue. Mine is 5 years old and doing well.
Attached Files
File Type: doc SOC Chart Black.doc (24.0 KB, 0 views)
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:07 PM   #10
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Curtis is wired to the whip that came with the controller. It still gives me an idea of batt usage even while moving. Digital one gives real time volts/amps and has its own wiring.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO