lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2017, 04:24 PM   #1
Rangerdaniel
Getting Wild

Default 95 medalist questions

I have a 36 volt 95 medalist. I purchased a digital volt meter from Scotty b a few years back.

I am having battery issues. After charging batteries (38.2 based on digital meter), the batteries die quickly.

I have budgeted and plan on buying new batteries soon. But today, out of curiosity I checked them with hydrometer and voltmeter.

Hydrometer test it out in the lower area of "fair." Voltmeter tested out at 6.3 on all six batteries

But when I run the cart. Scotty's digital meter gets down in the mid 20s. Before replacing the batteries, I just wanted to see if you all believe that's the issue
Rangerdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2017, 05:46 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 95 medalist questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdaniel View Post
I have a 36 volt 95 medalist. I purchased a digital volt meter from Scotty b a few years back.

I am having battery issues. After charging batteries (38.2 based on digital meter), the batteries die quickly.

I have budgeted and plan on buying new batteries soon. But today, out of curiosity I checked them with hydrometer and voltmeter.

Hydrometer test it out in the lower area of "fair." Voltmeter tested out at 6.3 on all six batteries

But when I run the cart. Scotty's digital meter gets down in the mid 20s. Before replacing the batteries, I just wanted to see if you all believe that's the issue
According to your hydrometer reading, your batteries must be highly sulphated. The specific gravity is low because the sulphur in your sulphuric acid is bound up in lead sulphate crystals that have grown between your batteries plates. This is caused by the batteries being kept at a low state of charge for extended periods of time. This has greatly reduced the amount of current storage capacity (ampacity) of your batteries. Not only plan to replace the batteries, but to prevent it from happening again, you need to find out why your batteries have remained in such a low state of charge for so long.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #3
Rangerdaniel
Getting Wild

Thank you for the response, I truly appreciate it.

I am a little concerned now about a few different possible issues.

I possibly should have led with fact that they are on year 5 currently. I purchased it on April 20, 2012. They were knew then.

I keep the charger plugged into the the cart all the time. Is that a mistake?

What would cause them not to get a good charge? Charger? Cables?

What steps should I take?
Old 05-14-2017, 07:37 PM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdaniel View Post
Thank you for the response, I truly appreciate it.

I am a little concerned now about a few different possible issues.

I possibly should have led with fact that they are on year 5 currently. I purchased it on April 20, 2012. They were knew then.

I keep the charger plugged into the the cart all the time. Is that a mistake?

What would cause them not to get a good charge? Charger? Cables?

What steps should I take?
Keeping it plugged in when not in use is opportunity charging, and is not a bad thing. I would suspect the charger. Some chargers reach their intended charge point and shut off, and do not restart as battery voltage drops. Others will restart a charge cycle at a restart voltage point. And others keep a trickle charging going. You will need to determine which charger type that you have, and maybe look at a better charger. If your charger is of the type that restarts or trickle charges after the bulk/absorb charge cycle ends, then I would look at wires and connections as a possible failure point. Others will probably jump in here with suggestions.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:01 PM   #5
Rangerdaniel
Getting Wild

The charger is a "total charge III. Ezgo TEXTRON charger. MODEL number 26984.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO