lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2017, 09:32 AM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1998 EZGO TXT help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking1998 View Post
I was looking at my cables for replacement. To the motor, I have four cables. Two (black) are larger and two are smaller (black one and white one).

1. I would like to, someday, take my cart up to a 48V motor and I want to make any mods with that in mind so I don't have to replace again later.

2. My question is, should all four of the cables be upgraded?

3. Also, is 4 gauge enough or should I go ahead and put in 2 gauge?

4. Will the cover go back on over my controller/solenoid with cables that big?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
1. A 36V motor being ran at 48V has 33.3% better performance than a 48V motor ran at 48V.
Motors operate over a wide range of voltages and a stock 36V DCS motor is happy at 48V.

Get a super-duty 48V solenoid (MZJ-400), it operates at 36V, 42V and 48V.
It also passes 1000A peak and 400A continuously, which is adequate for use with almost all controllers.

2. Unless the two thinner ones are damaged, they don't need to be replaced. All ten of the high current cables need to be replaced.

3. 2Ga cables have 59% less resistance than 4Ga cables, so less energy is lost to cable heating. However there are only about 15' of high current cables total in a DCS cart, so the power loss is fairly low. Specifically, ~37W for 4Ga vs ~23W for 2Ga.

4. The opening in the bottom of the cover has to be enlarged for the larger cables. However, this becomes a moot point if you install an Alltrax controller, the cover is not used with them.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #22
rking1998
Getting Wild

Thanks for the great info.

So the ten cables to replace are the five between the six batteries, the positive and negative to the controller and solenoid, and the two to the motor. What is the tenth? Is there another from the solenoid to the controller?

JohnnieB, I don't understand your comment about only being 15" of high current cables in a DCS cart. Are you saying that I can make that cable bigger and the others smaller and get the same result?

Thanks
rking1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #23
rking1998
Getting Wild

Another question, if the battery tray is designed for six batteries, where do you put the other two batteries when you go to 48V?
rking1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:04 PM   #24
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks for the great info.

1. So the ten cables to replace are the five between the six batteries, the positive and negative to the controller and solenoid, and the two to the motor. What is the tenth? Is there another from the solenoid to the controller?

2. JohnnieB, I don't understand your comment about only being 15" of high current cables in a DCS cart. Are you saying that I can make that cable bigger and the others smaller and get the same result?

Thanks
Quote:
3. Another question, if the battery tray is designed for six batteries, where do you put the other two batteries when you go to 48V?
1. You found it. There is a short cable that connects the solenoid to the B+ terminal on the controller.

Note, the cable to A2 on the motor isn't connected correctly on the DCS schematic. I ought to go between the controller's B+ and A2 on motor. The short cable from the solenoid is also connected to the controller's B+ terminal.

Electrically it appears to be the same point, but it actually isn't since armature amps are greater than battery amps when the controller's output is less than 100%.

2. Oops, I fumble-fingered the keyboard. I corrected it.
DCS (and PDS) carts have a total of roughly 15 feet of high current cables.

The max current flow on all ten cables is the same, so they all ought to be the same gauge. All cable(s) thinner than the rest will be a choke point for the system.

3. There are more than one way to skin a cat.

Some people put the additional two 6V batteries in the bagwell.
Some shoehorn all eight 6V batteries under the seat.
Others use six 8V batteries to get 48V.
While others only go to 42V and the seventh battery fits nicely in front of the driver's side rear wheel well.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:13 PM   #25
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Skip,
When you were doing your upgrades, did you do anything with your forward/reverse switch? I cannot find any info on what to do with it on the DCS cart.

I agree with your plan of action. I am looking at batteries, cables, controller/solenoid.

But my wife is looking at seat covers, paint, wheels, etc.

The problem is that my wallet says "wash it and you are done...". Also, I have to be able to use this cart as I am upgrading it.
Hey RKing1998

For the reverse switch. The only thing I had to do is replace the micro switch on the reverse side of my lever. When I would shift to reverse it would not always give me the reverse tone and would not backup. New micro switch fixed that issue. It was inexpensive.

I understand the Micro switch was a weak link in th DCS carts...

Skip

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:16 PM   #26
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I also went with 2GA cables instead of the 4GA... The cost difference is not that much... Do the 2GA...you want a cart that is efficient as possible.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO