lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2017, 09:18 AM   #1
jhop869986
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Bandit motor really worth it?

I am considering getting a Bandit motor from Plum Quick, since the motor is the only thing I haven't changed on the cart. I am wondering with my Alltrax, solenoid, cable and 48V conversion I have already done...will getting a bandit motor give me any real improvement? Or should I move up to one of their more expensive motors? I already get about 25-26mph flat and 17-18 uphills..
jhop869986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2017, 09:47 AM   #2
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Default Re: Bandit motor really worth it?

What size controller do you have?

Using the bandit with a high amp controller won't do anything to help you since you're already seeing speeds in the high 20's. I'd look at one of their custom speed motors if I were you.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:51 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Whichever motor you get and whomever you get it from, it needs to match the cart's setup, how the cart will be used and the terrain the cart will be used on.

If the cart is the one pictured in your avatar, it appears to be a series drive with a rear seat and taller than stock (18") tires. If so, you probably need more than a Bandit.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:52 AM   #4
jhop869986
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
What size controller do you have?

Using the bandit with a high amp controller won't do anything to help you since you're already seeing speeds in the high 20's. I'd look at one of their custom speed motors if I were you.
400 amps - XCT400DCS
Old 05-31-2017, 09:57 AM   #5
jhop869986
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Whichever motor you get and whomever you get it from, it needs to match the cart's setup, how the cart will be used and the terrain the cart will be used on.

If the cart is the one pictured in your avatar, it appears to be a series drive with a rear seat and taller than stock (18") tires. If so, you probably need more than a Bandit.
I mainly use it in the neighborhood, which is nothing but steep hills, from the top of the hood to my house is about 1.5 miles.. I usually drive for an hour at a time with my son and listen to music and relax, stop and talk to neighbors, take them for rides and such. I would like to get to a point where I could drive it up to the gas station which is about 1 mile from the top of the neighborhood which is a complete back road with little to no hills and little traffic but a 45mph speed limit, if I could get to 35mph I would be happy with that..on the flip side I am worried that my 20 year old motor will succumb to the upgrades and crap out on me
Old 05-31-2017, 10:02 AM   #6
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

If you have steep hills, you may need a high speed and torque motor to keep from loosing speed on those hills.

A high speed and torque motor won't get you to the 35 mph you want, but you'll still be able to maintain speed on those hills.

If you go with a high speed only motor, you might be left creeping up those hills with the loss of torque those motors have to sacrifice.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:12 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhop869986 View Post
400 amps - XCT400DCS
I saw the F/R lever under the seat and guessed it was a series since it only does ~26 MPH at 48V.

An XCT feeding a stock DCS motor from a 48V battery pack ought to yield upwards of 30 MPH on 18" tires.

What is your tire height?

What field map are you running in the XCT?
There may be a better one for your setup out there.

Personally, I'd find out why the DCS cart isn't running closer to its theoretical speed with stock motor and XCT controller before looking for a new motor.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:12 AM   #8
jhop869986
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
If you have steep hills, you may need a high speed and torque motor to keep from loosing speed on those hills.

A high speed and torque motor won't get you to the 35 mph you want, but you'll still be able to maintain speed on those hills.

If you go with a high speed only motor, you might be left creeping up those hills with the loss of torque those motors have to sacrifice.
would I high speed motor give me at least the same torque as I get with the stock motor?
Old 05-31-2017, 10:15 AM   #9
jhop869986
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I saw the F/R lever under the seat and guessed it was a series since it only does ~26 MPH at 48V.

An XCT feeding a stock DCS motor from a 48V battery pack ought to yield upwards of 30 MPH on 18" tires.

What is your tire height?

What field map are you running in the XCT?
There may be a better one for your setup out there.

Personally, I'd find out why the DCS cart isn't running closer to its theoretical speed with stock motor and XCT controller before looking for a new motor.
tire size is 215-40-12 with HD leaf springs that give it an ever so slight lift in the back. I will look when I get home at the field map. Is it safe to say that with my current upgrades that the stock motor is most likely being over worked since it is 20 years old? Or if I am not getting the performance I should be then I have room to grow with the stock motor and be safe?
Old 05-31-2017, 10:29 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhop869986 View Post
I mainly use it in the neighborhood, which is nothing but steep hills, from the top of the hood to my house is about 1.5 miles.. I usually drive for an hour at a time with my son and listen to music and relax, stop and talk to neighbors, take them for rides and such. I would like to get to a point where I could drive it up to the gas station which is about 1 mile from the top of the neighborhood which is a complete back road with little to no hills and little traffic but a 45mph speed limit, if I could get to 35mph I would be happy with that..on the flip side I am worried that my 20 year old motor will succumb to the upgrades and crap out on me
Getting to 35MPH is possible, but the XCT-DCS does mot RPM limit the motor. so you have to design the max motor RPM into the motor type selected.

I do not know your tire height, but your cart does appear to be lifted much, if at all, so I suspect the tire height is 20" or less. If so, 35MPH is spinning the motor a bit over 7300RPM, so the motor would need high speed banding and critical balancing.

Your 20 year old DCS motor probably won't reach that RPM and not likely to last very long if it did, but the good news is that it probably won't take out the XCT controller if the armature exploded. (The XCT has short circuit protection on the out put)

Not knowing your tire height, I'm guessing, but I'd say you need a motor that is wound to produce stock speed, or slightly higher along with greater than stock torque to offset tire height and rear seat.

------------
I see you just posted more info. Our post crossed. I'll chew on the numbers and get back to you.

Last edited by JohnnieB; 05-31-2017 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: added comment
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO