lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2017, 08:42 PM   #1
rking1998
Getting Wild

Default Why won't it roll?

I have taken off the body to take care of some rust. I rolled it to the driveway to wash it off and then rolled it back in to the garage.
IMG_0067.jpg

Since being back in the garage, I have cut off/removed the rusted battery tray and sprayed on some rust reformer. Now, I tried to roll it back outside and the back wheels won't roll. If I can get one back wheel to roll, the other one rolls the opposite direction.

Is there any way to get it to roll freely again?

Second question: I have ordered a new battery tray since my old one was almost rusted in two. The previous owner had cut two pieces of wood to fit in the tray and the batteries sat on top. With my new battery tray, will the batteries sit directly down into it, or will I need to put something under them?

Thanks
Rick
rking1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2017, 09:35 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Why won't it roll?

1- remove the motor from the axle, if it rolls freely now, check motor. If not check brakes, then inside axle.

2- batteries just sit down in the trays.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:02 AM   #3
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

I did the exact same thing. My cart would not roll. Removed the motor and it was able to move. Disassembled the motor and found the bushings rusted to the com bars on the armature.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
agpfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:12 PM   #4
rking1998
Getting Wild

I am hoping that it is the brakes. I cannot imagine that something like what would happen inside the motor over a two week period of sitting in the garage.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:22 PM   #5
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Yeah, it's a nice old TXT not fond of replacing those battery trays though just curious is it a DCS or PDS cart?
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:46 AM   #6
rking1998
Getting Wild

It is a DCS cart. The battery tray was rusted through in spots. I actually had to cut it out with a 4" cutting disk and grind out a few of the bolts. You can see in the upper right corner where I had to cut away metal to get it out.
IMG_0103.jpg
IMG_0068.jpg

I ordered a new tray along with the tiedowns. The previous owned had put boards in and screwed square plastic tubing around the three 12V Marine batteries and large zip-ties across the top to hold them in place.
IMG_0030.jpg

Being new to golf carts and not doing adequate research before hand, I had no idea that this was not the way it should be done.

I gladly accept all recommendations/suggestions, tips and help as I go through the process of building this cart back up.

My first goal is to get new Trojan batteries installed with the two gauge cable set that I already got. Put 20" all terrain tires with 10" wheels on it. Paint it/make it pretty so that my wife can use it at an archery tournament in August.

My second goal is a new controller/solenoid to give it some more umph. Whether I get it in before August depends on finances.

It remains to be seen if my brakes are going to be serviceable or I am going to have to replace stuff.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:11 AM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking1998 View Post
I am hoping that it is the brakes. I cannot imagine that something like what would happen inside the motor over a two week period of sitting in the garage.
It is not uncommon for an electric motor to "rust up" after getting washed. There are iron laminations on both the stator and rotor, and if the bearings had gone bad at any time, the rotor could have rubbed on the stator, exposing bare metal on both. Even if the bearings had been replaced, adding moisture to the mix could have started some fairly fast rusting of exposed metal. Especially metal that had seen some heat in the past.

The Germans used to make hydrogen for their derigibles by spraying water on hot iron. The oxygen would rapidly bond with the iron to form rust, releasing the hydrogen.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:35 AM   #8
rking1998
Getting Wild

Will this same thing happen if I drive through a puddle and splash water on the motor?

To remove the motor to check it, I assume that means to remove it from the transaxle. If the cart rolls freely, it know that the motor is at fault. If that happens, is there anything that I can do to free it up?

By the way Bob, great history lesson on the German blimps. Never thought about that.

Thanks
Rick
Old 06-04-2017, 07:27 AM   #9
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

Remove the cables first, but make sure to label them. 3 bolts and the motor comes right off. It is really heavy so be prepared.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
agpfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:21 AM   #10
rking1998
Getting Wild

When the motor is attached to the transaxle, is it supposed to be sealed? Is there a gasket that I will need to replace after I remove the motor?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO