lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2015, 06:05 PM   #1
PESCADO
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Cleaning/Degrease Motor?

I've owned my Yamaha Drive for 2 years now and it's time to clean up the internal areas so looking for any ideas as to how & what products would be best.

Our cart is used at the beach and for hunting so I religiously apply T-9 to the motor and electrical components. I also use heavy duty Corrosion X on the frame etc.

Needless to say that although I have a rust free cart the sand and dust have started to accumulate throughout.

I have an idea as to how I would like to proceed with cleanup but would like you guys advice as to the best method and product recommendations to avoid damaging anything?
PESCADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2015, 01:49 AM   #2
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Default Re: Cleaning/Degrease Motor?

I just take a blow gun from my compressor to blow all the grass and dirt off everything. Mine never gets oily or greasy. Just dust but the 115 psi takes care of that. You can spray some degreaser on if but I don't like doing that and hoses off with water. Belts and clutch gets wet and you have to wait so long for the belts to dry so that it will turn over. Just blow and go.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:11 AM   #3
PESCADO
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Yea, that won't work for mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmachine View Post
I just take a blow gun from my compressor to blow all the grass and dirt off everything. Mine never gets oily or greasy. Just dust but the 115 psi takes care of that. You can spray some degreaser on if but I don't like doing that and hoses off with water. Belts and clutch gets wet and you have to wait so long for the belts to dry so that it will turn over. Just blow and go.
PESCADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:43 AM   #4
meangreenmachine72
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I use what is called grill cleaner degreaser from the dollar store with some rags and just spray and wipe. I have used on plastic etc and it works great. I had a plastic 1980 gas tank that had years of dirt, grease etc on it that I started to scrape it off in layers but the used this product which soften years of grime and it came out like new. Good luck !
meangreenmachine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:00 PM   #5
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I've started using something I pick up at the Dollar Tree. I use it on mowers to degrease and it works just as well on my clothes when I've been working on dirty/greasy things.

It's called Awesome Orange. Spray it on and power wash it off. On clothes, I just spray my greasy pants and shirts down with it before throwing them in the washer. It removes it all, every time. I'm hooked on it and for $1 you can get either the spray bottle full or the 1/2 gallon refill. I keep multiple 1/2 gallon refills around.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:18 PM   #6
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Same here dollar general has stuff called LA Awesome that is good stuff. Found out that many auto detailets use it on the sidewall of tires and the grime comes right off
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:06 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Simple Green for me. It's an excellent all around cleaner if you mix it properly. I buy mine in gallon jugs and dilute for lighter cleaning. It's biodegradable and safe for any surface. Don't let it sit on the parts too long to where it dries, I think that's a general recommendation for any cleaner though. Your issue is you use the anti-corrosive oils on the cart and they will just attract more dust/dirt.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:09 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I use something like greased lightning or the citrus cleaners, then power wash or hose...whatever I have available. Most of the time I just hose off the dust so it does not build up when I see it getting covered. I also like to use the tire spray on the tires, then I can hose the tires off and everything falls right off them.

I jump right on the cart after a wash and get a nice high rpm take off with a wet belt, it always starts good. I always blast up and down the drive a minute to blow the water off and heat up the engine some before I park it.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:49 PM   #9
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Yep DB....... Same stuff. They offer the regular awesome too. As well as a powder that can be added to laundry too.

I love the stuff, but as you said, I'd not leave it too dry before washing it off.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:37 PM   #10
meangreenmachine72
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Grill cleaner made by the same company. AWESOME ! I always have all the types mentioned on hand. I am in the process of cleaning a 46 year old spin display cabinet and these products do it al
meangreenmachine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha