lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-30-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
Badger
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Talk Me into keeping it.

Allright, So i got this 87 2 stroke Ezgo Marathon outta a junk pile...polished it up...frankensteined it back to life, rebuilt carb, fuel pump, oil pump, lift kit, new tires, new wheels, custom washington redskins seats, and then bam...it was given its walking papers the first weekend I used it at my campground...just too loud...they really don't want any gas carts there...

So then I saw a very similar body style in an 81 electric Ezgo marathon. Picked it up for 400 bucks. I grabbed it given the body was in IMMACULATE Garage kept shape and it had roof and windshield and all the trimings...theoretically the seats between the two cars are interchangable.

It charges and holds charge...but it runs sluggishly, doesn't wanna go up ramps to trailer, I presume its got battery issues. Obviously batteries cost a fortune, and now I'm second guessing myself given the uncertainty of function and of course the age of the beast.

Do I want to get involved...If I replace the batteries, then I've got around 1100 in her, and the motor might still be a lil wussy that can't handle steep virginia hills. And I'll or course want to lift it and put bigger tires on her. But will she run like I want her too after said battery swap? Will it be a lil ninny cart that goes no where?

I'm told I can replace the motor w/ a higher Horsepower unit? But what other components need I worry about taking a dump on me? I mean yea, I could end up putting 2k into this thing but all the components would be new...I could end up spending same on a newer model cart that might need just as many repairs....

Anyone want to chime in their 2 cents? I'd appreciate some thoughts.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-30-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Talk Me into keeping it.

I use a gas cart at work and love it.... But my wife is resrticted to an electric cart around the barn with the horses. so we use an older 36v cart converted to 48volts. The old 36v is kinda impressive on more voltage... I have taken it off road and it starts out impressive and slowly backs off ..... just the nature of the beast.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
Rodger's Rides
Totally Bonkers!

Mixed Breed

Take the electric one to the camp grounds and drive it around. If that is too loud, then you are right...They just don't want any of us "good folks" at their campground. Resilution...look for a better campground and keep both of them. Change the old electric to 48 volts. If you got to buy batteries anyway then go 48volt. Can I have my 98 cents in change now?
Rodger's Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
Badger
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Talk to me about this 48volt conversion...how much will that cost, something tells me the charger won't be good anymore. need one of those two? New motor? anything else?

Finding a new campground aint gonna work, any advice on getting my 2 stroke ninja quiet?
Old 01-30-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

New charger ... same motor
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
Rodger's Rides
Totally Bonkers!

Mixed Breed

Mufflers work well. (I know smart a$$ answer.)

36 to 48 volt conversion on resistor cart...
48 volt sylnoid, batteries, and drive it like you stole it.
I have been told that when switching from 36 to 48 and keeping the 36volt motor you can spin the rear wheels some. I am getting close to finding out on my build. Scotty and Roady and Smallblock450 and several others here are more experts on this conversion than I am. When it comes to electricity, I know my flashlight takes two batteries for it to work. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:53 PM   #7
Badger
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

What muffler, talk to me...I'm willing to listen...

Heres some pics of the electric...If I start mojo'n it, they may serve as before photos I suppose.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #8
Rodger's Rides
Totally Bonkers!

Mixed Breed

That is a NICE looking ele! It looks like it was well taken care of. It would be ashame not to do somethong with it.

PM sent concerning mufflers.

The rear end is the type that I look for one my builds.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:51 PM   #9
Badger
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks I got your PM...all good information...I am also concerned that the microswitch might need to be replaced on top of the exhaust work. A couple more weeks of troubleshooting I guess.

Yeah...I was surprised how nice it looked for a 27 year old cart...the people I bought it from garage kept it...and I'm also under the impression that the charger it came with is very new...Even though its way old...there is something I appreciate about that metal body...so much plastic out there these days.

Given my original intent to replace my 87 2 stroke, I kinda scored by finding one so close in body style...the Custom seats off the 2 stroke are like 99.8% compatible....its a glove fit on the 87..but on the 81 theres miniscule left to right play, and its a little too snug against the back, and will probably end up harshing my vinyl....

I guess I'm gonna try and mod the 2stroke...but If I do all that crap and then I don't have power, I"m gonna be a little sad I guess.

If I go and drop batts into the one, I'm prolly gonna be cheap and get the crowns...given how very little I'll use the cart...

my biggest concern in doing something with this one is its age and the power I'll get from it. Is the battery purchase gonna be affective...or will I need to replace the motor...if I replace the motor, do I need to replace the speed controller or other crap I'm not thinking of...given my serious lack of knowledge in electric carts...I may be walking down a long road of many upgrades necessary to give me the power i already have w/ the 2 stroke.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
Badger
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

anyone know a good source for electric motor upgrades for a cart of this age?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO