lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #11
billmcewen
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Newbie Here: Wires Melting, Sparks - Cart is Dead - Need Help

Thanks!!!
billmcewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #12
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmcewen View Post
PG, maybe these pictures will help. Thanks for your input. It would not surprise me if it is not factory wiring. The cart was used at an apartment complex. My neighbor got it from them and went to replace the brakes and the brakes that are supposed to go on this 1989 cart did not work. It appears the rear end has been changed out to a different year...

Thanks again for your input!
What are the serial number and mfr number from the plate by the passenger glove box?

Rear end is definitely not 89 and I wonder if the cart is not really a bit older. Mfr number from plate will tell.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:54 PM   #13
billmcewen
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
What are the serial number and mfr number from the plate by the passenger glove box?

Rear end is definitely not 89 and I wonder if the cart is not really a bit older. Mfr number from plate will tell.
PG, the numbers are:
Serial #569101
Manuf #18P89

Thanks again.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #14
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Ok let me try and give this a whirl.

That small wire that goes to the switch, i believe that is just for a reverse buzzer. So you can remove that if you dont need it. Seems like for it to melt and get hot like that, the buzzer could be defective or theres a short somewhere.. Next, you blew a fuse somewhere. In that cart, there should be a fuse in a fuse holder that controls the solinoid activation circut and buzzer circut ( this should be located off of a 36v source and it will be a small wire). replace that fuse and you should be back up and running. Next, replace that melted large cable. Go with a min 6ga wire.

Oh ya, one more thing...

DO NOT USE A METAL ROD TO HOLD UP YOUR SEAT!!!!!!

Last edited by Monsterezgokid; 02-02-2009 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: typo
Monsterezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #15
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

I disagree. I believe the control wire melted as a result of the overheating 6g cable directly below it. In this condition it would easily short against the F/R assembly and shoot some nice sparks around. My .02
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #16
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
I disagree. I believe the control wire melted as a result of the overheating 6g cable directly below it. In this condition it would easily short against the F/R assembly and shoot some nice sparks around. My .02
Actualy your quite right, i was initaly reading his issue as the control wire smoking at first, but after looking over the close up pic of the board, the overheated 6g cable looks to be the heat source.

One more thing i noticed, is that its missing the 2nd switch for the buzzer. So nevermind that... I should of looked at the pics more closely.
Monsterezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:40 PM   #17
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmcewen View Post
PG, the numbers are:
Serial #569101
Manuf #18P89

Thanks again.
Check that mfr. code again.

In any case, I don't believe your cart is a 1989 model or if it is/was, someone has done a lot of reconfiguring.
I was trying to figure out the year model and provide you with a diagram so you could trace and confirm according to the right diagram.

I'd suggest a rewire is in order with #4 AWG welding cable and a good diagram. The first diagram at this link is a good start.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:55 AM   #18
billmcewen
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterezgokid View Post
Ok let me try and give this a whirl.

That small wire that goes to the switch, i believe that is just for a reverse buzzer. So you can remove that if you dont need it. Seems like for it to melt and get hot like that, the buzzer could be defective or theres a short somewhere.. Next, you blew a fuse somewhere. In that cart, there should be a fuse in a fuse holder that controls the solinoid activation circut and buzzer circut ( this should be located off of a 36v source and it will be a small wire). replace that fuse and you should be back up and running. Next, replace that melted large cable. Go with a min 6ga wire.

Oh ya, one more thing...

DO NOT USE A METAL ROD TO HOLD UP YOUR SEAT!!!!!!
M, Thanks for your thoughts on my problem. I'll see what I can do with everything you and the other guys have given me to look for!
Old 02-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #19
billmcewen
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Gornoman, thanks for your help. You are right, the large black wire beneath the small wire is the wire that good really hot. The small wire was laying on top of it and when the insulation on the large wire started to melt the small wire just pushed right through the insulation and the sparks happened.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #20
billmcewen
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
Check that mfr. code again.

In any case, I don't believe your cart is a 1989 model or if it is/was, someone has done a lot of reconfiguring.
I was trying to figure out the year model and provide you with a diagram so you could trace and confirm according to the right diagram.

I'd suggest a rewire is in order with #4 AWG welding cable and a good diagram. The first diagram at this link is a good start.
PG, I confirmed the mfr. code and it is what I told you. I do agree that this cart probably has had quite a bit of reconfiguring done....Thanks for the link to the manuals.

Tags
burning smell, cart dead, melted wires
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO