lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2018, 11:18 AM   #1
kevindo
Not Yet Wild

Default club car 2006 transporter electrical wiring

The boss bought six used Club Car transporters two weeks ago. Two are now broke down. Neither will move. I have a very good electrician who has kept my Taylor Dunn carts running for years, but he need a schematic for these Club Cars. I have (2) 2006's with 1520 controllers in them, but everything I have found online so far shows 2006's with controllers other than the 1520.
Can anyone point me to a schematic?

Oh, the vendor of these says he can have a tech come out and look at them...in 2-3 weeks!

By the way, these are being used in dirty sometimes muddy conditions. Will this affect anything in general? Possibly the speed pot?
kevindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2018, 03:54 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: club car 2006 transporter electrical wiring

What's your email address? I come bearing gifts.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
kevindo
Not Yet Wild

kdoyle@growerstrans.com

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:22 AM   #4
kevindo
Not Yet Wild

A thank you to TahoeDawgZ71 for replying to my post. He was able to forward me a manual on the club cars. The wiring diagram in the manual is correct, and I can now trace wires, however my electrician tells me an actual schematic would be much more helpful for troubleshooting purposes.

So, does anyone know where a schematic exists? If not, a troubleshooting guide?

I found an incredible troubleshooting guide for cars with the 1510 controller online. I'm hoping there exists a similar one for the 1520.

Thanks again to TahoeDawgz and everyone who took the time to read my post.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:14 PM   #5
kevindo
Not Yet Wild

What can anyone tell me about the Curtis 1311 or other model scanner/programmers. They're pricey, but are they any good for troubleshooting components other than the controller itself? Can they detect malfunctions in other parts of the electrical system through the connections to the controller? Are these scanner/programmers indispensable or a luxury item?

Wow, these Club Cars have been a bad investment so far.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:02 PM   #6
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Have your electrician post his tech. questions here. Somebody will help him solve the problems. Give as much info and symptoms as possible.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:35 AM   #7
kevindo
Not Yet Wild

WalterM6...thanks for replying. These Club Cars have been a puzzle so far. My electrician and I spent most of the last two days working on 3 of them now.

Here are the symptoms of the one we're working on now. The cart applies its brakes forcefully while moving forward without touching the brake pedal. It happens at high and low speeds, and when it happens it locks the rear wheels instantly. After coming to a stop, most times the cart will move again by simply pressing the accelerator, but sometimes the operator turns the key off and on again before it will move. It made sense to me that the motor speed sensor might be bad. However upon testing it per steps described several times on this site the sensor is working normally...at least it tests normal. While we had the cart on jack stands in the shop for testing...it quit working altogether. No forward no reverse, no solenoid clicks...nothing.

It's a 2006 transporter. ( 6-volt batteries, IQ.

At one point my tech wanted to see what a relay's function was. This relay is on the diagram. It's black plastic, totally enclosed with 4 spade-type terminals on top. The relay doesn't have any diagram on it that indicates which wires are for the coil and which are the load. Anyway we traced the wires and found one of the load wires went to the solenoid and the other went back to the controller. Both coil wires also went back to the controller. We disconnected both load wires from the relay and all of a sudden we had function. The wheels moved in forward and reverse...a few times. Then nothing again. We reconnected those load wires on that relay and again we had forward reverse functions. We lowered it off the jacks and drove it. Within 50-ft the brakes locked up again. I HATE intermittent electric problems!

Now we're finding stuff on the cart that isn't even on the wiring diagram. There is another relay mounted on a sidewall behind the dashboard plate where the key switch and forward reverse switch are mounted. I don't see it on the wiring diagram although it looks to be factory installed.

I know that eventually we'll figure these club cars out. Either that or the boss will return them to the vendor. In the meantime though any help is appreciated.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:54 AM   #8
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

The only time I read of a rear wheel lockup on this site it was caused by the rear axle rotating and pulling the brake cable tight. Check the rear U-Bolts are tight and not allowing any motion. Another cause is a lifted cart. One of the brake cable becomes too short when you lift a cart.

If you try and run the motor with the brakes locked up it will stall the motor and overheat it and it won't run again until it cools down. This may be where your intermittent problem is coming from. Put your hand on the controller the next time it happens and feel how hot it is.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #9
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
There is another relay mounted on a sidewall behind the dashboard plate where the key switch and forward reverse switch are mounted
That's a relay for the headlights
Old 09-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #10
kevindo
Not Yet Wild

Thanks again for replying WalterM6. Regarding my braking problem...the cart utilizes an electric motor brake....no brake shoes or drums. I have a couple EZGO's with this same type of brake system and haven't had a single problem with them in 5 years.

As mentioned earlier, I couldn't find anyone with a similar braking problem on this site..or any other site for that matter. If you have any other suggestions please pass them on. Personally I'm leaning toward a controller problem if only because the controller functions and adjustments are a mystery to me.

I've always looked down on a mechanic who just starts replacing parts hoping to find a cure, but seeing as I have several of these and I can swap parts without having to pay for them...that may be my next step.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car