lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2020, 03:24 PM   #1
blackhawk400
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Critique a 2008 Danaher rebuild plan

Hi, I'm new here, but have been lurking for a few weeks and thought I'd make a post to get some feedback. I'm helping my neighbor get his cart back in running condition. I'm a novice at this stuff, but mechanically inclined. Troubleshooting electrical seems over my head, but I'm willing to learn.

Background: It's a rebuilt 2008 Ezgo with a gray Danaher controller that he bought about 4 years ago. At that time it had new batteries at least. It lives on a hobby farm in south Alabama 30 minutes from the Gulf. It gets used to haul pig and poultry feed around in the mornings, and gardening tools / mulch in the afternoons. Nothing really absurd weight wise.

The problem: So a few months ago it started stinking really bad and only running intermittently. That's when I got on here hunting for info. The solenoid clicks, when turned on. Sometimes off and on rapidly about 3 times but doesn't run. Other times, just normally and then runs. And occasionally it clicks normally, but still doesn't run.

So far: I've installed a new motor brake (which was toast, broke in half even). That was an easy fix. Talked to an Ezgo mechanic at a dealer (who's an hour away) who said it sounded like the solenoid needed replacement and was cheap enough to give it a go. Still no change in performance.
I've checked voltage on nearly every wire in both running and non-running condition and don't see much change at all. When not running, I did notice some drop in voltage at the diagnostic plug and the downstream side of the solenoid, but marginally different. The accel pedal is coming up all the way. The triangle charger shows no change whether running or not.
One thing of note, I checked all the batteries with a home tester and one showed significantly lower than the other 3. Took it to a local cart shop and he said it's still in good order... I've heard these are the most voltage sensitive carts out there.

The plan: I'm about at the conclusion that the controller is toast. I'd like to upgrade to an aftermarket unit if only to hopefully last longer than a refurbished OEM unit. Also thinking of upgrading all the main power cables.

Any other pointers or thoughts. Did I miss a diagnostic step? Could it somehow be a bad resistor? I've browsed through some of the pinned posts, but not all. Not sure how much is relevant to this intermediate model cart that seems to be the "red headed step child."

Thanks!
blackhawk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2020, 07:36 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Critique a 2008 Danaher rebuild plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk400 View Post
Hi, I'm new here, but have been lurking for a few weeks and thought I'd make a post to get some feedback. I'm helping my neighbor get his cart back in running condition. I'm a novice at this stuff, but mechanically inclined. Troubleshooting electrical seems over my head, but I'm willing to learn.

Background: It's a rebuilt 2008 Ezgo with a gray Danaher controller that he bought about 4 years ago. At that time it had new batteries at least. It lives on a hobby farm in south Alabama 30 minutes from the Gulf. It gets used to haul pig and poultry feed around in the mornings, and gardening tools / mulch in the afternoons. Nothing really absurd weight wise.

The problem: So a few months ago it started stinking really bad and only running intermittently. That's when I got on here hunting for info. The solenoid clicks, when turned on. Sometimes off and on rapidly about 3 times but doesn't run. Other times, just normally and then runs. And occasionally it clicks normally, but still doesn't run.

So far: I've installed a new motor brake (which was toast, broke in half even). That was an easy fix. Talked to an Ezgo mechanic at a dealer (who's an hour away) who said it sounded like the solenoid needed replacement and was cheap enough to give it a go. Still no change in performance.
I've checked voltage on nearly every wire in both running and non-running condition and don't see much change at all. When not running, I did notice some drop in voltage at the diagnostic plug and the downstream side of the solenoid, but marginally different. The accel pedal is coming up all the way. The triangle charger shows no change whether running or not.
One thing of note, I checked all the batteries with a home tester and one showed significantly lower than the other 3. Took it to a local cart shop and he said it's still in good order... I've heard these are the most voltage sensitive carts out there.

The plan: I'm about at the conclusion that the controller is toast. I'd like to upgrade to an aftermarket unit if only to hopefully last longer than a refurbished OEM unit. Also thinking of upgrading all the main power cables.

Any other pointers or thoughts. Did I miss a diagnostic step? Could it somehow be a bad resistor? I've browsed through some of the pinned posts, but not all. Not sure how much is relevant to this intermediate model cart that seems to be the "red headed step child."

Thanks!
You can buy a replacement Curtis controller for less than the cost of replacing that Danaher controller. I suggest that you replace the wiring harness with a new one made for the Curtis controller. E-Z-GO has a sitewide sale going on now. Those old harnesses were problematic. You should be able to source the harness from E-Z-GO, and a used 235 Amp Curtis RXV controller from eBay, for less than the cost of a replacement Danaher.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO