lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #1
vehder
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Modern battery suggestions for 1981 MGIV

I recently bought a non-running 1981 Harley Davidson Master-Glide IV Electric Golf Cart. The previous owner said it hadn't run in 7 years and needed a solenoid and batteries. He said he had been using 3 12volt car batteries. Already ordered the solenoid. I'm hoping someone might have come up with better way or can give economical recommendations for new batteries. This is just for recreation so I don't think I need normal super expensive golf cart batteries since it won't be on the golf corse 16 hours a day. Any suggestions? Thanks
vehder is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2018, 08:56 PM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Modern battery suggestions for 1981 MGIV

Well, 36v is 36v and pretty much any way you get there will run the cart. You could use 3 12v deep cycle marine batts but you might have to charge them individually with a car batt charger as they would have different charge requirements.

Really, there are some cheapo new golf cart batteries for sale out there. Sams Club used to sell them but I dont know if they still do. 6 6v cheapos probably arent a lot more than 3 12v deep cycles.

You could also peruse CraigsList for a used set.

Pay attention to the amp hour (ah) numbers on whatever you with. Generally, the higher the ah the longer the run time.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:35 AM   #3
vehder
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Any major reason to avoid getting car, motorcycle, lawn and garden, or wheelchair batteries instead of those listed as being for golf carts?
Old 03-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #4
49ford
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

did you try the three six volt option? I have a cart just sitting because I can't figure out how to wire the four main battery cables to the three batteries.
49ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:58 AM   #5
49ford
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

my 79 is going to be sold or parted out. I'm just done with weird mg4 wiring.
49ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #6
vehder
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

I'm still not to batteries but if using 2 18v, looking at this wiring diagram I would think you should be able to just skip the outside 6 volt batteries and the 4 short cables. If you are still having problems the other attachment will help you determine if your motor is bad.
Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg th.jpeg (14.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1979-1982 Model MGIV.jpg (74.5 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Harley Davidson