lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2019, 09:17 AM   #11
GCPK
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Charger Error 1 AND Error 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
It sure looks like that fan has spent some serious "run time", which is odd to me. These chargers don't even turn the fan on until something like 168° f. Consequently, they usually never even run. I can't even tell you how many owners of that charger have come to me with suspicion the fan must be broken, because it just never comes on. The newer JW9 Yamaha charger has a much lower fan temp threshold. Otherwise, I don't see any thing obviously burned, but I didn't think the selection of view points was very diverse.
Thanks. Would you like any other angles/view points to look at it?

Is it worth "looking at" anyway (possibly something that's fixable), or is it typically better to junk it and purchase a new charger?
GCPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2019, 09:38 AM   #12
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Those chargers weren't all that great, I think FSIP offers repair. I would probably get a little better charger.

You could play around with a IR thermometer and try to find the hot part when it's plugged in.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:52 PM   #13
GCPK
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Those chargers weren't all that great, I think FSIP offers repair. I would probably get a little better charger.

You could play around with a IR thermometer and try to find the hot part when it's plugged in.
Thanks. Any recommendation on a good charger?

Thoughts on this one?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07366M3WQ...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 05-28-2019, 05:09 PM   #14
cgtech

Yamaha

It's a good charger for the price. I certainly don't know of a better one for that price. Just be careful with the plug where the DC cord hooks to the charger, they break if abused much.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:43 PM   #15
GCPK
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
It's a good charger for the price. I certainly don't know of a better one for that price. Just be careful with the plug where the DC cord hooks to the charger, they break if abused much.
Gotcha. Appreciate your help and input. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:30 PM   #16
GCPK
Not Yet Wild

A bit of an update to help others possibly in the future.

I put the charger back together, and...it works again.

I didn't touch or change anything on the inside, however, when I took the cover off, I removed the power cord that plugs into the side. Put the cover back on, reinstalled the power cord, and it's been working since.

So I'm thinking it's possible the power cord was lose or somehow this caused and then fixed the issue. I'll keep an eye on it and replace the charger if the errors reappear, but for now all looks good.

Thanks again for the help CGTECH.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:19 PM   #17
bzigler
Not Yet Wild

GCPK. Thanks for the picture of your charger. I was able to use them as a reference to re install the main cord after my son left the charger plugged into the cart and ripped it out of the charger.

Thanks!
bzigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:45 PM   #18
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

A word of caution for anyone sending this Yamaha "QE Wannabe" to FSIP. we just spent a good month with one we sent back to them and it came back FIVE, count them FIVE times each time it had either a different fault or it refused to turn on period, one time it even let out some pretty blue smoke. After it came back the sixth time it ended up working fine (i'm used to the fan coming on slowly and getting faster as time goes but this one never had a working fan as far as i can tell, but the sixth time it ran normally) but this made customer angry and impatient and we no longer send them to FSIP and instead just shell out for a DPI or Eagle Performance version which we've had great success with (and they offer float mode for winter storage too).

Thanks CGTech for the error info, I've been wondering what those two LEDs mean for ages but all the manuals give me (as well as Yamaha on the phone having no clue what I'm talking about!) is that something bad has happened and i should send it to an authorized Yamaha dealer for repair.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:59 PM   #19
midwestgolf9
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
It sure looks like that fan has spent some serious "run time", which is odd to me. These chargers don't even turn the fan on until something like 168° f. Consequently, they usually never even run. I can't even tell you how many owners of that charger have come to me with suspicion the fan must be broken, because it just never comes on. The newer JW9 Yamaha charger has a much lower fan temp threshold. Otherwise, I don't see any thing obviously burned, but I didn't think the selection of view points was very diverse.
Sorry for the necromancy (bringing this thread back from the dead) but I just wanted to tell you a little work-around that can help these chargers last a little longer, that is, if they're still around kicking to begin with. If you look at them, they're actually fantastically built. Insulating cutouts across high voltage component traces, actual polyurethane foam for vibration resistance on larger components, etc. I really think it's unfortunate that the early designs had this overheating issue. Really, they seem to be able to handle the heat "OK" but it's definitely the main issue preventing the components from lasting a lot longer.

DISCLAIMER - I didn't design the board or logic. I don't know if there are any potential negative effects to function or dangers to essentially "tricking" the board into thinking it is hotter than it is which is essentially what we are doing. I've not found any negative effects thus far after performing this on my own 3-4 chargers over the years. Additonally these chargers do have a safety 100 degree C cut-out switch that seems to be seperate to the DC side logic. Still, use this information at your own risk.

The workaround.

There's a small dip thermsistor potted into an eyelet connector thats bolted to the heatsink. The two yellow and/or white wires that come out of that you'll see terminate into the PCB below where the DC side cord comes into the case.

Long story short, I think they perhaps sourced the wrong range thermsistor / they chose the hysteresis wrong in programming / who knows. Either way the end result is that the fan almost never actually functions because the logic circuit never tells it to run.

If you solder in a shunt 1.2k resistor across these two wires (make sure to cover your work / insulate), that will roughly halve the voltage drop and allow the fan to kick in at a much more reasonable temp.

It's worked well for me but your mileage may vary.
midwestgolf9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:27 PM   #20
cgtech

Yamaha

Thats really great! I will be adding this to any one of those chargers I open for any other reason.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha