lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2019, 07:14 PM   #1
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Club car no spark?

Theres always posts of a weak or no spark condition, so maybe this will help and mods can make it sticky?

If you believe there to be a spark issue, many times it will run for a bit and then die. So first, carry a spare spark plug with you. Run the engine until it dies. Quickly put the wire off the plug and plug in your spare, hold the threads of it against the bolt on the valve cover. Hit the pedal. Your spark should be bright and blueish in color. If its white, yellow, or none at all then you have a spark problem.

If your spark is fat and blue, look into fuel issues, valve adjustment, or something else.

If it is white or yellow then the spark is weak. Usually too weak to ignite the air/fuel mixture. This is usually caused by a failing ignition coil.

DO NOT USE AN INLINE SPARK TESTER. They give misleading results. Just because it shows you "have" a spark doesnt mean its strong enough to jump the gap, or strong enough to ignite the mixture. Trust your eyes, not a $3 spark tester.

If you have NO spark, then look below the valve cover on the front of the motor. You'll see a little box. To the left of it is a wire coming alongside the engine, it should be black with a white stripe. Near the box it will have a bullet connector. Disconnect this connector and see if you have spark now. If yes, then you have a microswitch problem. Disconnecting this wire bypasses the microswitches in the black box, and behind the shifter. You can get all 4 of them for less than $20 and I'd recommend replacing all 4 at once.

If still no spark, then reconnect the bullet connector. On that box next to it, there is a brown wire with a ring terminal that should be on the left side 10mm mounting bolt. Disconnect this ring terminal. Doing this disables the rev limiter. Wrap some electrical tape around it so it doesn't touch metal and try again. If now you have spark then the rev limiter is bad and needs to be replaced.

ANY ignition parts really need to be replaced with genuine OEM parts. Aftermarket parts will frequently leave you second guessing and chasing your tail trying to diagnose parts you already replaced. Do it once and do it right.

OEM parts are difficult to find online, most are cheap knock off's. Dont trust amazon or Ebay. For OEM parts, use one of our site sponsors. Without all of the sponsors, this place wouldn't exist.

David Hicks
706-431-3917*
revolutiongolfcars.com
He sells OEM club car parts. You're guaranteed to get the real thing and not a lookalike from ebay.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2019, 08:50 PM   #2
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Default Re: Club car no spark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Theres always posts of a weak or no spark condition, so maybe this will help and mods can make it sticky?

If you believe there to be a spark issue, many times it will run for a bit and then die. So first, carry a spare spark plug with you. Run the engine until it dies. Quickly put the wire off the plug and plug in your spare, hold the threads of it against the bolt on the valve cover. Hit the pedal. Your spark should be bright and blueish in color. If its white, yellow, or none at all then you have a spark problem.

If your spark is fat and blue, look into fuel issues, valve adjustment, or something else.

If it is white or yellow then the spark is weak. Usually too weak to ignite the air/fuel mixture. This is usually caused by a failing ignition coil.

DO NOT USE AN INLINE SPARK TESTER. They give misleading results. Just because it shows you "have" a spark doesnt mean its strong enough to jump the gap, or strong enough to ignite the mixture. Trust your eyes, not a $3 spark tester.

If you have NO spark, then look below the valve cover on the front of the motor. You'll see a little box. To the left of it is a wire coming alongside the engine, it should be black with a white stripe. Near the box it will have a bullet connector. Disconnect this connector and see if you have spark now. If yes, then you have a microswitch problem. Disconnecting this wire bypasses the microswitches in the black box, and behind the shifter. You can get all 4 of them for less than $20 and I'd recommend replacing all 4 at once.

If still no spark, then reconnect the bullet connector. On that box next to it, there is a brown wire with a ring terminal that should be on the left side 10mm mounting bolt. Disconnect this ring terminal. Doing this disables the rev limiter. Wrap some electrical tape around it so it doesn't touch metal and try again. If now you have spark then the rev limiter is bad and needs to be replaced.

ANY ignition parts really need to be replaced with genuine OEM parts. Aftermarket parts will frequently leave you second guessing and chasing your tail trying to diagnose parts you already replaced. Do it once and do it right.

OEM parts are difficult to find online, most are cheap knock off's. Dont trust amazon or Ebay. For OEM parts, use one of our site sponsors. Without all of the sponsors, this place wouldn't exist.

David Hicks
706-431-3917*
revolutiongolfcars.com
He sells OEM club car parts. You're guaranteed to get the real thing and not a lookalike from ebay.
This is just what I needed to see for my latest project a beginning after a running motor transfer to a no spark condition which is what I got going on now. Can't wait to do these test I like simple
ericandrews331@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:56 PM   #3
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

during 1996-97 they changed the ignition where the ignitor is no longer a separate part and is now built into the coil. during that year changeover a lot of coils break down and cause spark to die after the car is driven awhile. I've replaced countless coils over this issue. We now use OEM parts since aftermarket tends to not last very long.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 12:45 PM   #4
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post

David Hicks
706-431-3917*
revolutiongolfcars.com
Great info right there, Thanks CP
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 01:25 PM   #5
SmeltShackBBQ
Getting Wild
Club Car

So, I don't know if you've been thanked for this info this week or not.. If not: Thanks. My rev limiter = Bad. I know, because it now runs with the brown wire disconnected. I knew to disconnect that, because you said to. Thanks again!!! This thing must rev to ten grand now!! Woohoo!! Kidding. I reattached the ring terminal, and plan to keep it there.
SmeltShackBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 05:12 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Glad you got it covered :)

As long as your governor is functioning properly, generally disconnecting the rev limiter isn’t a huge deal. But with the zip tie on the governor I’d probably replace the rev limiter just to be safe
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 02:50 PM   #7
Motorman 007
Getting Wild

Deleted….I will make another post…

Last edited by Motorman 007; 07-31-2023 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Bad info
Motorman 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car