lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2019, 02:29 PM   #1
emernst
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Hole in transmission case

I recently purchased a 1997 DS gas that has a hole in the transmission case. Has anyone had any success with welding or using aluminum epoxy for repair? The hole is about the size of a nickel. Follow up question: is there a source out there for used transmissions?
emernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2019, 02:39 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Hole in transmission case

Depends what tried to get in, or what parts tried to escape to make that whole.

JB weld works on everything, provided you can get it clean enough to adhere, and you still have at least some of the chunk that's missing. If you don't have he chunk, using a peice of aluminum foil on the inside of the case will usually hold the JB in place until it cures. Depending how large the hole is, you'll need to use several layers of it and cover an area about an inch beyond the hole on all sides of it.

If you need a case half, try asking in the Classified section here.

I've bought a used unitized trans on ebay from a seller out of AZ, and also bought a few other things from them. Prices were fair and shipping was free, which is pretty good for a 50lb chunk shipped across country. I just needed the center case assembly, not the whole rear transaxle assembly, which they did not have listed, but I emailed to ask if they would sell one without the axle tubes, and they said they could make a custom listing for just that. They emailed me a link to the item the next morning, and 5 days later it was in my shop.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:43 PM   #3
emernst
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the advice. The aluminum foil sounds like a good idea. I believe that the damage came from the outside, but I am afraid that the previous owner drove without oil for a while. It drives and shifts, but sounds a little noisy like a bad bearing. I will try to fix the hole and fill it with oil, then see what it sounds like.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #4
emernst
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So, I welded up the hole and then covered it with epoxy to make sure that would be sealed well. Filled it with Lucas oil stabilizer and it does not leak. Unfortunately, it sounds like the driven clutch shaft bearing is bad. I am assuming that the case must be split to replace that bearing, so any advice on where to find a used transmission and its cost would be appreciated.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car