lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2019, 07:19 AM   #1
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Popping on top end

Guy brought me an older cart with a FE290 motor that is popping and quitting on the top end. I noticed that the governor is disabled and the cart runs very fast with a lot of rpms. I am suspect that the stock carb is at its limit and running out of fuel causing this. I am afraid to try to duplicate this condition due to the high rpms and I don't want a rod to come thru the side while I am working on it. Can I rejet the carb or should I put a carb off of a FE350 on it, if it will fit.
oncearacer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2019, 07:44 AM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: Popping on top end

It's not the carburetor!
It's the Rev Limiter doing it's job because the governor is disabled/messed with!

The best I can suggest is to readjust the governor to just under the RPM limits of the Rev Limiter. (although "the guy" probably won't be happy with it)
Yes... you can disable the Rev Limiter, but I suggest that YOU don't do it for liability reasons!

It's only an 8.5 HP engine... it can only do so much.

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:52 AM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
It's not the carburetor!
It's the Rev Limiter doing it's job because the governor is disabled/messed with!

The best I can suggest is to readjust the governor to just under the RPM limits of the Rev Limiter. (although "the guy" probably won't be happy with it)
Yes... you can disable the Rev Limiter, but I suggest that YOU don't do it for liability reasons!

It's only an 8.5 HP engine... it can only do so much.

Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:57 AM   #4
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

I agree completely with your post. I do have a question tho. If the rpm limiter shuts off the engine won't it refire after the rpms drop? The guy said it will backfire and shut off and is very hard to get it to restart.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:03 AM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncearacer52 View Post
I agree completely with your post. I do have a question tho. If the rpm limiter shuts off the engine won't it refire after the rpms drop? The guy said it will backfire and shut off and is very hard to get it to restart.
The rev limiter shuts off the spark if over-reving, it usually floods the cylinder with fuel, which makes it hard to restart.
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:26 AM   #6
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

I see. thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car