lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
RCDART
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 Engine Timing

Can anyone tell me how to check the timing? Thanks.
RCDART is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
jimdurt
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Engine Timing

Best way would be with a timing light. I used a dial indicator and set it at 0.051" Before Top Dead Center. I just pulled the plug and use something that will touch the piston and measure from top of strokevack 0.051". You could probably go a little more if you want to advance it.
jimdurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
RCDART
Not Yet Wild

No dial indicator but i've got a light. Where are the timing marks at on these things? Thanks.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:52 AM   #4
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

There is a window on the fan shroud and timing marks on the flywheel and crankcase. You will have to pull the battery and rig up jumpers to run the engine. Idle engine at 1000-2000 RPM and the two lines should line up. If they are close, good enough. Since this engine runs forward and backwards, the timing is not super critical. You can play with the timing a bit, advancing it slightly for more power in forward, as long as it starts OK in reverse.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
RCDART
Not Yet Wild

Cool, Thanks for the info. Now how do you change the timing? Change the key in the flywheel?
Old 06-30-2010, 04:52 AM   #6
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You need to loosen two screws behind the flywheel that hold the stator plate to the crankcase. Turning the stator plate moves the pickup coils' relationship to the magnet in the flywheel, thus changing your timing. When you advance the timing in forward engine rotation, you are also retarding the timing in reverse engine rotation. That is why exact timing is not critical. If you over-advance the timing, it may run great in forward but be hard to start or have no power in reverse. To loosen the screws the first time, you may need to pull the flywheel so you can get ahold of them without stripping the phillips heads.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
RCDART
Not Yet Wild

Cool'Thanks!
Old 07-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

That is how I did it, I had to file out one hole in the plate iirc. When done it went better in forward and had a noticeable bog in reverse, but not that bad.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #9
RCDART
Not Yet Wild

Did it make a noticable difference in foreward? How much did you advance it? Thanks for the help.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I don't know, I still needed reverse so I didn't do anymore. It seemed to make a difference, in fact I think I cut the head at the same time. The comp ratio on those is like 6:1. Best I recall I moved the plate a little, and it was going to take a lot to move it more, but it worked out just right. I don't remember that was long ago, but every time I did something I raced the other cart I used to compare.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha