lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
Walkingtall
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car DS gas before 93 vs after 93

As you can tell from my question, I'm new to carts..I am considering the purchase of a custom club car (late 80's) with professionally lifted suspension, widened axles, and 16hp briggs. (created by a hotrod/4x4 shop)

Is it common for a gas cc to use electric motor for reverse?

What was the change in cc in 1993 as accessories are listed for 93+ carts. Such as street legal lighting kits,etc.
Walkingtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
jace1975
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car DS gas before 93 vs after 93

One thing about the body that changed in 93 is the rear fender flares. Pre-93 had a black rubber flare held on by plastic rivets. 93 and later the flare was included as part of the plastic body. That's why you never see fender flares for pre 93 bodies, but, the bodies are interchangheable up to around 2000 or so. So you can always find a newer body and change it out.

Jason
jace1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
Walkingtall
Not Yet Wild

Can a person make the 93+ fender flares work on a pre 93 body?
Old 10-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
jace1975
Gone Wild

Club Car

Maybe, but you would most likely have problems as the flares mount to the flare portion of the body. The black flares aren't held on that well,(plastic christmas tree rivets) and would most likely pull away from the body with the added weight.

Jason
Old 10-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
wooly15
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingtall View Post
As you can tell from my question, I'm new to carts..I am considering the purchase of a custom club car (late 80's) with professionally lifted suspension, widened axles, and 16hp briggs. (created by a hotrod/4x4 shop)

Is it common for a gas cc to use electric motor for reverse?

What was the change in cc in 1993 as accessories are listed for 93+ carts. Such as street legal lighting kits,etc.
Electric motor for reverse? How does that work? Never heard of that.
wooly15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
Walkingtall
Not Yet Wild

Wooly15, apparently you shut off the gas motor and use a switch on the dash to start the electric motor for reverse. I haven't seen the cart however my nephew is going to check it out in person. Just thought I'd see if anyone had seen this sort of set up.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:12 AM   #7
jace1975
Gone Wild

Club Car

My cart is a 1988 and has a normal working reverse. The cart should have a forward/reverse shifter that would be right behind your right leg when sitting in the drivers seat. I wonder if the people who customized this cart did something different with the trans. Otherwise why would an electric reverse be needed? Just a thought.

Jason
Old 10-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #8
Walkingtall
Not Yet Wild

Jason, It is custom, no shifter at all. I haven't purchased it yet, but it is interesting and it does run strong. It is suposed to be a late 80's club car base.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #9
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It sounds really Cool! My guess is someone used an electric axle, which has no F-R shift. Love to see some pics of it. I've seen some really ingenious things done to vehicles to make them work!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
Walkingtall
Not Yet Wild

After some phone calls I've learned that this was originally a 2 cycle cart (2hp). When the v-twin briggs was installed, the 4 cycle wasn't designed to run backwards so the
electric reverse motor was used. Maybe I could change the rear end to a transaxle and install a shifter?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car