lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
bdoggolf
Not Yet Wild

Default wont stop moving..controller?

1990 Columbia ParCar. When key is "on" it moves either F or Rev without stopping (no pedal push). I still need the accelerator to speed up but wont stop moving until the key is in off position....help!! Also if a controller issue, where do I get one?
bdoggolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
hawk-er
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Default Re: wont stop moving..controller?

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/colum...v-par-car.html

You can confirm that the speed control is in fact junk only after confirming all solenoids are fully functional. If they are, and you ignition switch is working, then you can determine the speed controller junk. This is how my troubleshooting went. conclusion=Speed controller was junk, as the arm goes across the controller the first contact point it engages/energizes the forward or reverse solenoid (depending on which your ignition is on) then there is the 3 speeds after that. So that first contact is frozen shut inside your speed controller therefore always energizing either the forward or reverse solenoid as soon as you turn the key. Problem is this speed control cant be taken apart since its like a rubber encased type of closure.

I ruled out the chance of finding a stock replacement like this immediately because I think having a magnet engage a contact is the dumbest design ever. So i decided to build one (see video). My first idea was to just build my own wiper blade contact board (like EZ-GO uses) but then I decided having plunger contacts like this would be a lot easier. So i rewired the entire cart after building this speed controller and now made it a 3 speed instead of 4.
This was the first attempt at the plunger contact block set up you see in the video, I rushed with the materials I had to make it. It still functions great but the distance between the speeds needs to be increased so I’m remaking the block with the 3 plungers. Also fyi, the positive is ran directly to the solenoids, and the plungers are switching the Negative leads, therefore if something were to short the worst that would happen is the cart will just go, like normal. Alot safer than having the plungers switching the positive leads in case something shorted at some point.
hawk-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

sounds to me like you have a solenoid that is welded open...common on golf carts
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
hawk-er
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post
sounds to me like you have a solenoid that is welded open...common on golf carts
Of course is a possability, but he says that it has the other speeds therefore both resistor solenoids are functioning. So if both those work, it seems like a stretch for both the forward and reverse solenoids to be welded (since he stated it goes both forward and reverse when the key is positioned accordingly).

Run 36v leads to your F & R solenoids individually (after isolating them) and see if they are welded or not.
hawk-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Oh I gotcha...was a generalized statement as I am not familiar with Par Cars...That sounds like a set-up that was used on the electric Yamaha G1's...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
ParCarJack
Not Yet Wild

Columbia

I have an 89 Par Car electric and had a similar issue. Just ended up being dirty linkage to the accelerator pedal. Cleaned it up and hasn't had an issue since.
ParCarJack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia, speed control box
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar