lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
widsdad
Not Yet Wild

Default 2010 Carryall oil overfilled Engine heat seized

Towed the unit in . Checked for oil and it was half way up the dip....Drained oil and refilled ( changed filter too ) Grabbed the clutch with both hands and freed it up with a bit but not a lot of effort ... Compression tests at 135 psi . So.....to tear down or not . That is the question ????:roll
widsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2010 Carryall oil overfilled Engine heat seized

I don't see how too much oil would cause an engine to seize up. Did you just get this cart? If so, I'll take a guess someone ran it out of oil and dumped a bunch in to try and free it up! I'd get it running and see what it sounds like. If it's quiet and has good oil pressure, I wouldn't take it apart.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
widsdad
Not Yet Wild

I have always been lead to believe that a high oil level leads to foaming ( the reason for the " do not overfill" caution on dipsticks) which causes the oil to lose it's viscosity. Leading to the heat seize situation we experienced. The operator was one of our best , although he did admit to not checking the oil on the day in question . More likely one of the less experienced operators thought it was low and dumped a whole jug in to "top it up " We have had the unit since it was new....
Old 01-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I just learned something! I had no idea foaming reduces oil viscosity. It makes sense if all of the oil in the crankcase has foam (air bubbles) in it. I would still try running it before you tear it apart, though. Not the same type of engine, but I had an old Ford Falcon that my "X" drove overheated until it locked up! I got it home and left it sit overnight and tried starting it the next day. I kept bumping the starter and eventually the engine turned over and it started right up! That car ran great for another 9 months and then I sold it. I'm not saying some damage wasn't done, but how much is just a guess.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:34 PM   #5
PAPABEAR1
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I have seen overfill issues seize an engine. It will also cause other issues. Smoking rough idle, and of course the obvious blow by. and leaks. I agree I would get the level right and get it fired ,see and listen to what it sounds like.
PAPABEAR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #6
widsdad
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for the long delay in finishing the thread ....Pulled the head and checked out the cylinder walls and everything looked fine . Decarboned the head and piston , reassembled, new spark plug and she fired right up!! We have been using it all spring with no problems to date ( touch wood )
All is good !

Tags
2010 carryall 252
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car