lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #1
M16er
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default EZGO S/G noise

Hey guys, I searched the Forum and didn't see what fit here.... went to start the EZGO, and got a bad noise, like when you start a car that's already running sound when cranking.

Thought it was the belt, tightened a little, but still doing it. So, pull it out and put in new bearing and brushes? Or.....?

TIA
M16er is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO S/G noise

Wow, that's a weird one.

That it makes the funny noise suggests a couple of things:

- That the brushes etc. are still working fine, as it is making a noise
- The starter in a car makes that horrible noise, as there is not the expected resistance to turning it over...hmmmm....
- Although a loose belt was one idea I had, these are not quite high speed starters. I'm guessing at least a removal of the S/G and inspection is in order.

Could be the pulley is loose, or something otherwise has broken or separarted in the S/G itself. Good to check the motor pulleys too.

Also, it could still be a horribly slipping belt if some other factors (i.e. dust, dampness, wear, etc.) have conspired to still make the belt slip even if it is tight.
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO S/G noise

Take the belt off to make sure the noise is in the starter.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:48 AM   #4
M16er
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Exclamation Re: EZGO S/G noise

OK, got an update on this. Concerning the grinding noise, it was easy to hear but hard to see. Looking, I noticed part of the engine pulley to the S/G was broke. So a quick call to Geoff at Vegas Carts, and after refusing payment from me, he had another one sent out. I had sent Geoff pics, and he pointed out a couple of things to help rectify the situation. Mind you this hasn't been doing this from day one, it had started off and on a little over a month ago out of the blue when I first posted about it.

I got the new pulley and extra spacer in, but had to wait over a week before I could get back to the EZGO. Old pulley off, new one and extra spacer in, modification to bracket (ground it thinner where bolt goes into block and between pulley), test crank, back to starting with no noise! Ran it around the ranch checking on things. Couple of hours later, went to crank it and got the same noise again! Verified it was turning pulley only and not able to crank engine.

Yanked it back apart, noticed the keyway key that came with the clutch was cut to the clutch only. Since we added pulley and some spacers in the mix, it is now about 1 1/2" short, and able to walk out of the pulley keyway slot and there lies the problem.

If you have this setup, you need to check for this to make sure it won't back out. Home Depot shows to stock this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...keyword=468229

Fix would be to remove old key, insert new key stock fully, then scribe and cut flush with end of clutch, so key has no movement away from pulley keyway.

to Geoff at Vegas Carts!!!!!!!!! Bottom pic is after fix.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
M16er is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO