lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
Slayerextreme
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default cold natured??? hard to start with cooler temps

anybody got any ideas on where to start with getting my 96 club car with new fe290 engine to crank faster duing cold temps???

new engine
new plugs
new fuel filters
new carb

takes forever for it to finally start, will only start while holding in choke and spinning the engine over for 30+ seconds or more(sometimes it after 1.5 minutes, stoping the starter several times and trying again)

I've checked everything I can think of and eveerything I have been able to search on
Slayerextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2008, 06:56 PM   #2
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: cold natured??? hard to start with cooler temps

i'm not sure of a solution. My 93 has this same problem. it isn't quite as bad as yours but close. I do notice that my 98 seems to start a lot better in the cold.

-Aaron
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:02 PM   #3
agsbill
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerextreme View Post
anybody got any ideas on where to start with getting my 96 club car with new fe290 engine to crank faster duing cold temps???
You live in Griffin Ga.....right on the "nat line" , and you are talking about cold temps?

have Y'all been below 60* yet?

Turn in your Waffle House Discount Card!!!!

I hope the grit fields aren't hurt by the temps.......

Just kiddin Ya'

Bill

Might be in the upper 40's in Gainesville, Ga tonight......

:)

Bill
agsbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:53 PM   #4
agsbill
Getting Wild
Club Car

Slayerextreme,

I was just funnin' with ya!

BTW...

It is the "gnat line". I tried to correct my post but could not edit it....

Bill
agsbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:22 AM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

The only thing that I can think of is, that it's getting too much air!

Check to make sure that your Air Box is sealed tightly!
Club Cars are VERY picky on their air flow!

Is everything stock? (jet, air filter,etc.)
and, how does it run when it's warm?
(the engine RPM varies at mid throttle? or steady?)
If it varies... your getting too much air,
if not... I have no other suggestions

also... is your fuel mixture screw turned out to 1 3/4 to 2 full turns?
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
Pinky48
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Lockman1 What if you put a hotter plug in it ? Would it help?
Pinky48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Digging up an old one, huh Pinky?

To be honest... I don't know, but it'd be worth a $5.00 shot!

A stock plug is an NGK BPR5ES
The next hottest is a BPR4ES
and the next would be a BPR2ES

(with NGK plugs, the lower the number, the hotter the plug.)

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
gadavis
Gone Wild

Spark plug heat range values only tell how fast or slow the heat is transferred away from the center electrode and will make no difference in the cranking of the engine. Sounds like his air/fuel mixture is too lean. Look for leaks in the air filter box or hoses and sometimes there is a break or crack in the crankcase breather hose right at the air box hose where it connects to the carburetor. The main fuel jet size orifice in this carburetor is calibrated to have the air box connected and it being leak free. They will run very lean with the air box hose off.
gadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
naviridin
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

So i just got my cart back together and since i lifted it the hose to the air box is not long enough I tried to crank it and see if the engine would fire it will start when i spray starter fluid down the carb but it will not start with out it. I have checked everything just to make sure it was ok the only thing i can think of is maybe from not having the air filter on it will not allow it run. Is this correct ?
naviridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:24 AM   #10
paka
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerextreme View Post

new engine
new plugs
new fuel filters
new carb

takes forever for it to finally start, will only start while holding in choke and spinning the engine over for 30+ seconds or more(sometimes it after 1.5 minutes, stoping the starter several times and trying again)

I've checked everything I can think of and eveerything I have been able to search on
HARD STARTING may very well be because the choke isn't really functioning. I had this problem and finally discovered that the air filter was just a little too small (lengthwise) to completely cover the large opening that it must cover in the air box. Therefore air leaked in between the body of the air box and its rear cover. This was canceling the effect the choke should have of shutting off the air to the carb so it can suck more gas. TRY THIS CHECK: Remove the air box from the cart. Cover the front end with your hand, and put the other end over your mouth, sealing it against your face, and blow. Air should not escape anywhere. If air is leaking out at all, find the leak. It will probably be between the air box and its cover, because the air filter is either too small or is not properly centered over the big opening that it MUST completely cover inside the air box. Do the same check for the big air hose that connects the box to the carb. If it leaks, repair it if possible or buy a new one. Until you conquer the air leak problem, you will probably have poor choking and hard starting. I bought an air filter at Napa (Napa Gold #6139. The Club Car brand filter is #1015426). The Napa one is a very nice filter, and I found that it was a little bigger than my old one. I carefully centered the Napa filter over the opening, which it covered completely, and carefully installed the rear air box cover being careful not to slide the filter and being sure to put the cover's bottom tabs through the slots in the air box. I did the blowing test and found that there was now no leak at all. I reinstalled the box and hose, and now the choke functions powerfully and the cart seems to run better in general. Best wishes. I hope this helps.
paka is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car