lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
Arch-2012
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Smile Did Something Stupid - No Reverse

So I was replacing a rear broken leaf spring and shock absorber when I dropped an open end wrench in the process. The wrench just happened to fall right on top of the motor (2) electrical terminals. I saw a small spark/arc and thought... uh oh. After I got everything put back together, all appears to be working OK, except I no longer have reverse. I hear the reverse buzzer and I hear the solenoid click like it's getting ready to move. Then I hear what I think is a second solenoid click about 1 second later. The cart doesn't move an inch.

My Club Car Precedent is a 2004 model. Ser#PQ0442-450414. I've read through a bunch of threads here on this site including resetting the OBC, but I thought I'd better check in with the experts before I do anything else. Any information on where I should start would be greatly appreciated!
Arch-2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-02-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Did Something Stupid - No Reverse

Unfortunately if the wrench touched wither the F1 or the F2 terminals on the motor the controller is damaged.

The Field driver is bi-directional so You can burn one of the two FETs that controls the reverse direction but still work fine in forward.

It is really important to disconnect the battery pack when working near the motor, simply putting the cart in Tow is not enough.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
Arch-2012
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the quick reply. What would suggest as a 1st step to getting this fixed? Take it to a Golf Cart Shop or is this something I can order online and replace. In either case, your reply sounds expensive.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:24 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Think about as an opportunity to upgrade to a better controller.

A new Alltrax controller would be cheaper than a Curtis and it will plug on the same harness connector.

There are a few versions of the Alltrax XCT controller depending if you just want a slightly better replacement all the way to max-power for a future motor upgrade.

David from RevolutionGolfCars and ScottyB from CartsUnlimited are two knowledgeable and frequent contributors to this site, You can check their websites on the "Site Sponsors" link on the Top of the page or they may see this thread and comment.

You should be able to do it yourself and there are lots of folks around here that can answer any install questions You may have.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:33 PM   #5
jbenny509
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I have an '04 Precedent as well. If you need to save money and want my controller, I can make you one heck of a deal. Mine works great, no problems...I just purchased a new Alltrax and have this one available.
jbenny509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:16 PM   #6
Arch-2012
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes, I'm interested in the controller. I just sent you a private message.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Everyone reading this should make note of this! ALWAYS disconnect the main battery before doing ANY work on your buggy. One small slip and it's time to pull out your wallet!
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:51 AM   #8
jbenny509
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-2012 View Post
Yes, I'm interested in the controller. I just sent you a private message.
Not sure if you received my PM a few days ago. You can also email me at jamesbenny2016@gmail.com
jbenny509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #9
Arch-2012
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

This buggy is back on the road and running great! Sergio was exactly right - it was in-fact my controller. Thanks for the information everyone and a big thank you to jbenny509 for the controller. I won't be working on this thing again without disconnecting the batteries first.

Tags
reverse not working
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car