lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2019, 08:47 PM   #1
busman9
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Resistor cart ?

I am replacing the coil assembly on a resistor marathon cart.should I upgrade the wires to 6G ?? Thanks
busman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2019, 11:03 AM   #2
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Resistor cart ?

The heavier the gauge, the better in my opinion.
Larger wires mean less loss through heat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Brob1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:32 PM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

how much are the resistor coils costing you to replace them? For $400 you can get an Alltrax Solid State controller from cartsunlimited.net that would be a lot more efficient than using resistor coils.

Also, are you sure your stock wires are less than 6G? That would put them at 8G and that's OK for a medium sized car amplifier, not for golf cart use. Often people on this forum will upgrade to 2G cables but if you are looking at that kind of expense I'd first put the funds into a solid state controller... Unless I'm not understanding what cables you are talking about on the resistor cart.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #4
Invkimmy22
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I am wanting to convert my 90 marathon from a resistor coil to a controller too.

It isn't working for our needs any more and how everyone wants to drive it with the pedal barely pushed. It heats up too much and sucks for us.

Any links you might have to direct me on this would be very appreciated.
-Can I get a used controller and what else it would need?

+++
It's also wanting to stay going when you let off the pedal now. Will stop when you put it in neutral. It seems to happen after someone is driving poorly and the coil is smokin hot. Not quite sure of that now either. Maybe the wiper posts somehow arcing between each other? any thoughts?
Invkimmy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:20 PM   #5
busman9
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You can look at the contacts on the wiper board and see if they are burned. Mine the contacts arched so much the were touching. I took the contact out of the board and cleaned them up. Works good now
busman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:47 PM   #6
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: Resistor cart ?

Up grading a resistor cart cables isn't much of a upgrade when they still go to the resistor's guy's. It's not going to help with any thing. Other than your old cables just needed to be replaced anyway. The factory cables will do just fine.

Upgrading to a controller is pretty simple though if you don't mind a little work. You can buy good used 36 volt controller and the pot box and use the selonoid you have now to make it work with some all thread rod for the gas pedal rod and wiring it up.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:02 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We have helped hundreds of owners convert resistor coil carts to solid state here > https://www.cartsunlimited.net/conversion-kits.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:12 AM   #8
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Upgrading a resistor cart to solid state is a HUGE step up.
Brob1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #9
Invkimmy22
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Got it all done in time for our event. Ended up getting both carts all juiced up. Runs great. Thanks for all the tips.
Invkimmy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:29 PM   #10
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

I personally miss the simplicity of resistor cars. as are our customers lately. Many are getting cheapskate like and refuse to spend the money to replace a $650 or in the case of an RXV, $1200 controller, and many hate how chargers have become disposable (ERIC, Yamaha, and QE/SC-4. You really need a degree in engineering to work on a modern golf car--even more dire to mess with lithium unless you love working on time bombs (tesla, note 7, hoverboard fires/explosions)

There will be folks hating me for saying that but I've turned into the Shango066 of golf cars lately (look him up on Youtube, he's great! he prefers vacuum tube stuff for TVs and they do indeed last longer) and you could do a lot more to hotrod a resistor car (like go from 36 to 72V and super high speed motors and gain tons of MPH without having to upgrade controllers, etc) with far less $$$ and they were much easier to repair.

No one goes slow enough on a modern golf car or resistor golf car for solid state to really matter. resistor cars aren't even using the resistors to go full speed, and solid state are just sending full battery pack voltage either way. The difference is in repair costs and at least where i work, those costs are getting higher than most people want to spend.

Truly our last repairs/sales were two Marathons and a Fiberglass 36V Club Car (not a Caroche). The Marathons sold to folks clamoring for a sub-$1000 car (they're getting more common lately) and the Club Car had a melted wire on the charging receptacle--easy fix. and cheap.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO