lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2019, 07:04 PM   #1
midwest guy
Not Yet Wild

Default 2010 yamaha with new batteries won't take a charge after winter

I bought a 2010 yamaha at the end of last summer and used it for a few months before winter came. The cart ran well without any problems. The previous owner put brand new batteries in it early last summer (showed me the receipts).

The golf cart stayed in my garage all winter (not plugged into the charger). I went to charge it up for the first time yesterday and left it on all day. I came home today and the cart had no power. I looked at the charger and the red power light indicator is on but the other buttons that indicate charging, charged, etc do not light up. Last summer when it was charging the other buttons on the charger would light up and indicate if it was charging, charged, etc.

Any ideas? I've made sure the plugs from the charger to the cart are going in all the way. I've unplugged it, plugged it back in with no success. It's a 48 volt multi stage battery charger. The batteries are Trojan batteries.

Thanks in advance!
midwest guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2019, 07:08 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2010 yamaha with new batteries won't take a charge after winter

Do you know what the pack voltage is right now? After sitting the winter without being charged it may be depleted enough that the charger will not come on. If the voltage gets too low the charger doesn't recognize that it's plugged into a cart. What battery pack do you have: 4 x 12 volt, or 6 x 8 volt?
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:17 PM   #3
midwest guy
Not Yet Wild

4 x 12
Old 04-04-2019, 06:10 AM   #4
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Do you know what the pack voltage is right now? After sitting the winter without being charged it may be depleted enough that the charger will not come on. If the voltage gets too low the charger doesn't recognize that it's plugged into a cart. What battery pack do you have: 4 x 12 volt, or 6 x 8 volt?
As meimk said, many of the cart chargers will not charge batteries if the voltages are too low. What are the voltages of each battery, and the whole pack?

If you have a 12v charger, it is possible sometimes to charge the individual batteries using it first. This will bring the voltages high enough for the cart charger to recognize it is plugged in.

For future consideration, lead acid batteries do not do well sitting for any appreciable amount of time without charging. They self discharge sitting idle, and this does damage them.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:41 PM   #5
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My mom had the same issue when she bought her cart. Being the first cart anyone in the family owned we didn't know that once the charger charges the batteries and turns off it doesn't come back on until be unplugged and plugged back in so we just figured since it stayed plugged in it should've stayed charged. After figuring out what went wrong the guy she bought it from said they usually tell people that are leaving it plugged in for long periods to plug the charger into a garden timer.
bobbycason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:00 PM   #6
midwest guy
Not Yet Wild

So I've been messing around with this all weekend with no luck.

Obviously the batteries are in a series, but I took off the connectors and tried charging the batteries all individually. There are 4 batteries each with 6 holes. When I initially put the charger on a battery it would read around 2-3v. After a short period of time it would read 11.7-12v. The charge indicator on the charger turned to "fully charged" after a while on a couple batteries. The other batteries would read 30-40% charged and stop.

So I connected all the connectors back and plugged in my 48v charger and the charger would kick on for about 1 second (charge light comes on) and then kick off for about 5 seconds. Prior to me charging, it did not kick on at all. It did this cycle for about 30 mins and then I just shut it off. The reverse siren will come on. The lights will come on. When I go to push the pedal to go forward or back it will roll about 3 inches and then dies.

Any other ideas? Charge the batteries longer? Get a new 48 v charger?

I've got a couple chargers that I've been using. On one of the chargers there is the option for standard or AGM or wet. I assume they are wet? They are the trojan batteries with the 6 holes. On the charger there is also the option for auto/marine or power sport? Any ideas on what I should be picking on that setting?

Any more ideas for me to try? Thank you!
Old 04-07-2019, 06:34 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Charge all the batteries longer with the 12v charger. Then the cart charger will start working normally.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:15 PM   #8
midwest guy
Not Yet Wild

On the 12v charger, what settings should I use?

Setting 1: Standard, AGM, or wet?

Setting 2: Powersports or auto/marine?
Old 04-08-2019, 06:09 AM   #9
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

You have normal golf cart lead acid batteries, right? I would use: wet, auto/marine. While you're at it pop the caps off the cells and make sure the water is over the plates.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts