lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2019, 06:58 PM   #1
NDKoze
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Question Outdoor Battery Charger?

I need the ability to charge my 2011 CC Precedent while being outdoors.

I store it when not being used in a shed that does not have electricity out at my lake place. But, during the weekends (sometimes earlier) I charge the batteries on my cart with the electricity from my camper. I have been sitting the charger under my camper on top of a box made out of 2"x6"s to keep it out of the rain.

But, I would like to park my cart in a different location where the cord is not quite long enough to reach my cart and still have the charger a safe distance under my camper to avoid getting wet during inevitable rains.

So, I was wondering if anyone has come up with a solution like some type of rain proof box that would keep the rain out but still allow for adequate air flow to the battery charger?
NDKoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2019, 07:44 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Outdoor Battery Charger?

How much further away is it going to be? One option may be to put a longer charge cord on the charger. Sticking with the same gauge wire you can make it about 14ft I think is the longest that club car uses.

I've made some little "charger houses" out of wood. A couple of treated 2x4s and some 1x6 slanted an angles on the sides. Found a few old sheets of asphalt shingles laying around to put on the top. They work very well and still allow plenty of ventilation.

If you're looking for something less permanent a rubbermaid tub with a dozen holes drilled in the sides works as well.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:54 PM   #3
NDKoze
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

It is probably only going to be about another 6'-8' or so at the most.

I was just thinking about building some type of charger house like you described. I don't suppose you have any pictures of yours?
NDKoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:18 PM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
If you're looking for something less permanent a rubbermaid tub with a dozen holes drilled in the sides works as well.
I know it sounds simplistic but this is what I did as well. I just went to Walmart, grabbed an appropriately sized plastic bin and placed it upside down over my charger. I didn't think to drill any vent holes in it. Perhaps I will.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:30 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

You need to, it creates a lot of heat that will drastically shorten it's life if contained n a box. Could even be a fire danger. A "dog house" for it would be best, with a open front, so the heat can escape. Heat is the enemy of everything electrical.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:04 AM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Other members say they use those pet transport things for cats and dogs. Plenty of air.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:42 AM   #7
Ribfeast
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Maybe look into a Delta-Q onboard charger? I have one on my kart, mounted under the driver's seat. It's probably the size of a decent sized book and is weatherproof.
Ribfeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts