lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-17-2019, 09:41 AM   #1
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default TXT 36v to 48v questions

I have a 2009 TXT 36v PDS drive system. I got this cart as a package deal of three maintenance carts from a local apartment complex. It was reported to be a running cart when they took it out of service. I have virtually nothing tied up in this cart at this point. Although the batteries are fairly new, they were bone dry and I cannot seem to get them to come back. As a side note, one of the other carts also had dry, dead batteries but I was able to get them back and seem to be holding up pretty good (48v, trojans). I was planning on keeping this cart so I know I will be buying new batteries. Should I consider converting to 48v? What is involved and what would be the approximate cost aside from batteries which I need anyway? What would you do? My intended use would be 98% on flat paved roads with occasional flat grass or gravel. Majority of time would be 2 people (and a 6 pound dog). Might put bigger tires but not super big. Don't really care for the monster cart look. Appreciate all the advice and comments. Here is a poor picture of the EzGo with some of my other junk in the background,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ez go.jpg (144.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ez 4.jpg (284.1 KB, 0 views)
jamoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #2
buckeyejudge
Getting Wild

Default Re: TXT 36v to 48v questions

Hi. I have owned a lifted PDS cart for about 10 years now. It is 36 volt, and its been perfect for my needs as is. I've pulled a 1/2 cord of firewood on a 5x10 trailer up a slight incline with no issues. But most of my usage is basic transportation and a small yard trailer. With a high speed plug and 23" tires, I get around 20 mph. So, unless you need more tongue for hills or more speed, I'd say save your money, 48 volts isn't needed for you.
However, if you feel the need for a change, I'd look into an AC motor conversion package.
buckeyejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #3
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thank you Buckeye, that is exactly the feedback I need to hear. I am new to carts and seems everyone I talk to says 48v or nothing. My experience up until recently has been renting 48v carts ( not on golf courses, I don't golf) I have never driven, much less owned, a 36v cart so your feedback is invaluable. I welcome all other feedback as well either for staying 36v or converting to 48v. Joey
Old 12-17-2019, 10:10 AM   #4
buckeyejudge
Getting Wild

Joey, yea, I see the same thing, but the seat of the pants testing tells me what I need to know. With that said, if I drove my cart half the day everyday, my response might be different. But for my casual crusing at the campground and the neighborhood, this works for me.
Brian
buckeyejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:35 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

20 years ago when the 36v PDS was introduced it was state of the art. I't performance surpassed the previous Series cart in terms of speed. And it fixed the fatal error built into the original Sepex introduction 5 years earlier known as DCS.
The 36v PDS production ran for about 10 years. It was very popular with it's upgrade chips allowing for a top speed of 19 mph. It was my favorite cart in that time.
The next big improvement was a 48 volts sepex cart called the TXT48. TXT was the platform all basic Ezgos were built on since 1995. The TXT48 is basically a 48v PDS. It has a longer stack motor which makes more torque and speed is 19 mph with factory re-program or like the PDS 22-23 mph with any Alltrax motor controller.
The 48v Ezgo produces more torque and more speed than previous models. It is much more capable in terms of load capacity. After all 48v produces 33% more speed and torque than 36 volts. 48 volts gained instant popularity among customers and manufactures followed the trend. Today 36v is obsolete. Nobody is making a 36v cart in 2020.
Conversion from 36 to 48v is simple enough. This has been very popular for the older series carts for many years. The old series motors run on 36 or 48 volts.
For PDS the cart needs a 48v controller and solenoid, and a 48v motor.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:46 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The sweet spot for a stock PDS motor is 42V, but the expense is roughly the same as going to 48V. Controller, solenoid and battery charger have to be compatible with 42V.

The ten high current cables are most likely OEM and need to be replaced with 4Ga or thicker. (11 cables needed for 42V system)

You can go up to about 20" tall tires without lifting body&frame off the axles.

In Freedom mode, the stock PDS controller limits the motor to about 4,400 RPM, which is roughly 18.9 MPH on stock (18" tall) tires and theoretically 21 MPH on 21" tires, but the tall tires decreases torque where rubber meets road by 10%, so the top speed will be less than that.

If an Alltrax XCT48400-PDS is installed, the max motor RPM is user programmable (as well as many other parameters) and the PDS motor will spin at about 5,600 RPM with a 36V battery pack for about 24.1 MPH on 18" tires and about 26.8 MPH on 20" tires.

Going to 42V increase both speed and torque by 16.7%.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:06 PM   #7
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

Great information from all. Much appreciated.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO