lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2020, 03:08 PM   #1
DanGoneWild
Not Yet Wild

Unhappy Problem After New Controller

Hi All, First post. Enjoy the site.
New to carts. Inherited a 36V 2000 EZGO txtpds six months ago. Stock speed motor DE8-4001 w/ Alltrax DCX400 and 18" tires... capable of 24 mph. Ran great for the 6 months I had it after initially putting in new batteries. Charged it overnight the last time it ran great and woke up to a smelly garage and a fried controller.
Had a local GC shop install a XCT48500 Alltrax controller and 400 amp solenoid but something seems amiss. I would think I would at least get the same results mph wise as I had but I'm only clocking 14 mph top end with the motor turning about 3500 rpms max. Have no idea what kind of rpms I was getting before but clearly I am missing 10mph.
Anyway, this is all new to me and I am a bit of a novice when it comes to electricity. Any ideas of what I need to be looking at to regain my speed? Tried cutting off the speed limit and ignoring the speed sensor but it made no difference.
DanGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2020, 03:29 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Problem After New Controller

Test in neutral, does the LED flash 4 green when the solenoid clicks then go solid green? If yes, does the green LED turn orange when the pedal is put to the floor?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:47 PM   #3
DanGoneWild
Not Yet Wild

scottyb. It flashes green 4 times and goes to solid green and then stays solid green when I floor the pedal.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:07 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

At 24MPH on 18" tall tires, your motor was spinning at about 5600RPM, which is about right for max RPM from a stock PDS motor fed from a 36V battery pack.

The part number you posted (DE8-4001) is not the same as the stock motor that was in my cart (DE2-4007), but your's was a 2000 and mine was a 2008, so they're probably slightly different versions of same motor, but I'd contact Alltrax and verify you have correct field map for your motor loaded in the XCT.

You shouldn't have to push pedal to get XCT to power up. Run/Tow in Run and keyswitch ON is all it takes. (Charger and laptop disconnected)

Since you mentioned the motor was only spinning at about 3500RPM, the GC shop must have found the speed sensor cable or replaced it since the DCX didn't use a speed sensor.

The XCT48x00-PDS does not run at full speed without the speed sensor attached and the "Enable Speed Limit" selected.

Check that box and move max speed slider up to 6500RPM. Select 8-Pole. (The stock PDS motor uses a 8 pole magnet disk and if 4-pole is selected the max RPM is 1/2 of the max RM selected)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGoneWild View Post
scottyb. It flashes green 4 times and goes to solid green and then stays solid green when I floor the pedal.
With a laptop connected, select the monitor tab.

What does the Throttle % climb to when pedal is pressed to floor?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:17 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yep, your not getting 100% full throttle.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:23 AM   #7
DanGoneWild
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
At 24MPH on 18" tall tires, your motor was spinning at about 5600RPM, which is about right for max RPM from a stock PDS motor fed from a 36V battery pack.

The part number you posted (DE8-4001) is not the same as the stock motor that was in my cart (DE2-4007), but your's was a 2000 and mine was a 2008, so they're probably slightly different versions of same motor, but I'd contact Alltrax and verify you have correct field map for your motor loaded in the XCT.

You shouldn't have to push pedal to get XCT to power up. Run/Tow in Run and keyswitch ON is all it takes. (Charger and laptop disconnected)

Since you mentioned the motor was only spinning at about 3500RPM, the GC shop must have found the speed sensor cable or replaced it since the DCX didn't use a speed sensor.

The XCT48x00-PDS does not run at full speed without the speed sensor attached and the "Enable Speed Limit" selected.

Check that box and move max speed slider up to 6500RPM. Select 8-Pole. (The stock PDS motor uses a 8 pole magnet disk and if 4-pole is selected the max RPM is 1/2 of the max RM selected)
First, thanks for your response JohnnieB.
Based on the dust on the cable and the rust on the clamp holding the speed sensor in, it looks to be the original. Perhaps it hasn't been plugged in since the cart's pre- DCX days and has just recently been put back in use with new controller.
I'll contact Alltrax and double check the field map. Was hoping to cover a few bases first and make sure it wasn't something else. The map is listed as DE8-4001-LR37DZ1-ALX in the program so it would appear right but IDK.
Ok so I enabled speed limit (it was originally set to that w/new controller) and upped to 6500RPM. 8-pole was pre-selected and I haven't messed with that. On the monitor page, throttle is showing 100% when floored. RPMs are showing right at 3600.
Should I replace the speed sensor and magnet since I have a new controller anyway? And can that possibly be my problem? And is there anything else I should replace while I'm at it? Thanks again.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:24 AM   #8
DanGoneWild
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post

First, thanks for your response JohnnieB.
Based on the dust on the cable and the rust on the clamp holding the speed sensor in, it looks to be the original. Perhaps it hasn't been plugged in since the cart's pre- DCX days and has just recently been put back in use with new controller.
I'll contact Alltrax and double check the field map. Was hoping to cover a few bases first and make sure it wasn't something else. The map is listed as DE8-4001-LR37DZ1-ALX in the program so it would appear right but IDK.
Ok so I enabled speed limit (it was originally set to that w/new controller) and upped to 6500RPM. 8-pole was pre-selected and I haven't messed with that. On the monitor page, throttle is showing 100% when floored. RPMs are showing right at 3600.
Should I replace the speed sensor and magnet since I have a new controller anyway? And can that possibly be my problem? And is there anything else I should replace while I'm at it? Thanks again.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:27 PM   #9
DanGoneWild
Not Yet Wild

Ok I replaced the throttle sensor and for good measure the speed sensor. I am now getting the 4 green flashes going to solid green and then going to orange when I floor the pedal. Problem is I'm still only getting 3600 RPMs max at 100% throttle. Any thoughts?
Old 03-27-2020, 02:09 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGoneWild View Post
Ok I replaced the throttle sensor and for good measure the speed sensor. I am now getting the 4 green flashes going to solid green and then going to orange when I floor the pedal. Problem is I'm still only getting 3600 RPMs max at 100% throttle. Any thoughts?
My thoughts are that is the design limit of that motor at the given voltage with the given load. Collect a monitor file while running up 0-60 a couple of times and post it here
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO