lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Which 4 gauge cable set to use for 36V?

Hi guys,

I have a 1992 Club Car, 36 volt with V-Glide and resistors, everything bone stock. I want to change all of the 6 gauge cables to 4 gauge.

Below is a page from one of the site's sponsors. Which cable set would be correct for my application: 1245 or 1247?

https://www.eastcoastcarts.com/catal...12&pNoFilter=1

Thanks in advance for all of the help!
Xact1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Which 4 gauge cable set to use for 36V?

Simple answer NONE OF THE ABOVE?
THe kits shown are for NEWER 1995 and up carts with solid state controler, not for resistor carts.
If you dont want to update to solid state controler and MCOR or PB6 throttle control
( which will give you most bump for your buck along with upgrade on cables ) you will have to find some one making kit for your cart, or make your own. You need the cables including battery as well as from V glide to resistors and then wiring from F&R switch and motor cables.
These probably are not that popular as most undate to controler operation, but some one may still make them? Put an add in wanted parts.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

OLD MEC,

thanks for the quick reply.

I had already upgraded the battery cables to 4 gauge, because I had a lot of corrosion of the old cables. I was hoping that one of these sets would give me enough cable to improvise.

So, I need at least an internal V-glide cable, V-glide to resistor cables, motor cables, F-R switch cables, and a cable from the solenoid to the battery.

I was hoping that someone had done this before!
Old 06-19-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have seen a post on one of the forums that listed all cable length for resistor club car but I will have to look for it and let you know where it is. You would be better to purchase some welding cable and ends from a welding supply store near you and do one cable at a time and if your lucky they will do the crimp and solder for you after you cut to lengths for them? In my area a welding supply does this for me and it sure makes it alot easier as they have correct equipment to add ends.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

FOUND IT. WONDERFUL POST BY "OXFORDLAWN" dated 14 April 2009, shows where he purchased cable, length of each cable and size of ends needed for resistor type Club Car. His is an 1997 but should be same length, check a FEW of wires shown for correct length for your cart, should be the same?
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR WIRING and keep us posted on how it works out.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:07 AM   #6
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Here you go....order everything you need from acehardwareoutlet.com----get the 50 foot roll of 4 gauge welders cable, order @ 25 5/16 4 ga. ligs and 25 1/4 4 ga. lugs. and a pack of 1/2 in. shrink tubing and a roll of solder for electrical work. take your time and have the satisfaction of doing your own. NOTE-THIS IS FOR THE SYSTEM THAT USES 1 SOLENOID, NOT 5 SOLENOIDS WHERE THERE IS 1 AT EACH RESISTOR COIL. AGAIN, 1 SOLENOID SYSTEM ONLY!
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Now that should be a sticky for future use!
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #8
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Yeah , lets see if it passes the sticky review committee
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:00 PM   #9
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

I was wondering about that too....but if it doesn't make it...I will continue to post if I see the question arise, I know its a topic that I see quite often, and I dont get to read every thread. almost though
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:03 AM   #10
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks guys,

Your support is greatly appreciated..... I can't believe how good this forum is.

I've already replaced the brakes and hubs, changed the differential fluid, installed new batteries and 4 gauge battery cables, and inspected/cleaned or replaced every connector that I could find.

I took the cart out for a test run this weekend, and it runs (and stops) great. Top speed with a GPS was clocked at 14mph with a realistic 12-13 mph average on flat grass. This would be about what a new cart of this vintage should do, so everything looks OK.

I am breaking the batteries in according to all of the information that I have read from the forum. Yeah, I bought the Energizer GC2 from Sam's Club, but they listed for $71.28 apiece, and I talked them down to $60.00 apiece for all 6 brand new with all date codes listed 2/09.

The 36V system on this cart uses only 1 solenoid, located just behind the F/R switch. So, I think that oxfordlawn's diagram will work perfectly. I will check out the website that you have listed (THANKS!)

I'll update this thread with results
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car