lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
jeffrop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default So I bought an '05 TXT PDS w/lights...

The cart came with headlights and tail lights but I have no idea how to operate them or if they're inoperative??

I can't find a toggle switch of any kind. I've just started looking around on the cart but haven't traced any wiring out yet.

Am I missing something? Are the lights somehow controlled thru the key switch?

Here's a picture of the cart. I apologize for the low quality but its all I have at the moment:
jeffrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: So I bought an '05 TXT PDS w/lights...

Nice cart
Yes, you have a 3 position key switch, off, on, on w/ lights on.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
jeffrop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Scotty..looks like I need to troubleshoot then. The lights were not working with key all the way to the right.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
jeffrop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok I started to pull one of the headlights apart and think I destroyed the bulb, lost the tiny little gasket material between the lense and housing.

Does anyone know of anything common to look for when troubleshooting the recessed lights not working?

Thx
Old 03-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

Trace the wiring from the lights. It is supposed to lead to a switch or 3-position key, then to the batteries. Check where the wires go and tell me, I can instruct you from there.
Legendary Golf Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
braxx
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I bought the sister cart of your's (Ebay auction) from the same seller. Mine has a 3 position key switch. 1st position is off, 2nd position is run and 3rd position should be run with lights on. My lights don't work even in the 3rd position. I plan on working on them this weekend.
Would you be interested in selling/trading your back seat and roof for an aluminum bed with correct roof?
Oh ya, I see that you found out that your cart is a 2005 even though the auction said it was a 2006. Did you mention that the the seller?
Here is a pic of mine but I want a seat in the back and not the bed/box.

braxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
braxx
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, I figured out my light problem. There is a relay under the cart, driver side about 12" in front of the driver side rear wheel.
I had power to the relay but no click/actuation. I removed the relay and found corrosion on the terminals. I then pulled the housing/case off of the relay. The inside of the relay was very corroded.
I put in a new relay and the lights work now.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
rocknrone
Romans 1 : 16 Unashamed

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by braxx View Post
Ok, I figured out my light problem. There is a relay under the cart, driver side about 12" in front of the driver side rear wheel.
I had power to the relay but no click/actuation. I removed the relay and found corrosion on the terminals. I then pulled the housing/case off of the relay. The inside of the relay was very corroded.
I put in a new relay and the lights work now.
Good job tracing out the problem!
rocknrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #9
braxx
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrone View Post
Good job tracing out the problem!
Thanks, most of the problem is that the lights are aftermarket so I didn't know how it was wired. No diagram to tell me where components are located.
Here's how I tracked it down:
1) Connected Red and Black wires that "appeared" to be for the aftermarket lights to a seperate 12v battery.
2) Connected my test light to the same battery.
3) Checked for power on both sides of the fuse that is about 8" away from the positive battery connection. Tested good.
4) Drilled out the rivets holding the key switch/ F&R switch to the dash.
5) Checked for power at the switch. Had power full time at the "L" terminal and then with the key switched to the 3rd position I gained full power at the "B1" terminal. So at that point I knew I had 12v power to the switch and then also power out.
I "thought" that there should be a relay somewhere. So I started tracing the wire from the "B1" terminal. What a paint that was!
6) Found a standard 12v automotive style 30a relay under the cart about 16" in front of the driver side rear wheel. It had power with the key in the 3rd position , 2 grounds were also present and the fourth terminal was dead (No power/no ground) and the power went way with the key in the 1 or 2 position. It also would not "click" when switching the key to the 3rd position.
7) I unpluged the relay and found it to be corroded. I pulled the relay apart and the insides were rusted/corroded very bad.
I cleaned up the wiring connector a little and then grabbed a 12v automotive style relay. I plugged it in, turned the key to the 3rd position and I had working lights.

Now, I'm on a quest to find replacement bulbs/lights that draw as little current as possible because I want to run them from 2 -6v batteries in the pack.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:54 PM   #10
jeffrop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Braxx you saved me a bunch of troubleshooting. I looked under the cart and found the relay, pulled it apart, and sure enough it was all corroded/partially disintegrated. Replaced the relay, and both headlight bulbs, and the lights work now albeit a little dim for my liking.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO