lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
jedotx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default motor and controller getting hot

2000 CC 48volt series DS alltrax AXE 400 amp controller PQ assassin motor 2 gauge cables.
About 2 weeks ago I got caught in a rain storm with the motor compartment hatch open. I was going full speed trying to beat the storm home. When the rain started coming down good I heard a loud thud sound, smelled electronics smoke, and lost all power. I trailered the cart home and waited till it dried out. tried backing it off the triler and to my surprise it worked. Ran it around the block and it seemed to work fine. However now that I've run it some more I discovered that after running for about 15 minutes I start hearing a growling sound if I run it fast. No sound if I'm running about half throttle. I checked the motor and controller and they are both very hot. Any Ideas, I'm afraid I may have let some of the magic smoke out of the controller. Help
jedotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: motor and controller getting hot

Its sorry to say but a otherwise top quality unit like Alltrax is not sealed enough ( as is most other brands ) to stop all water damage. You most likely have done damage to your controller but at this point its hard to tell unless you have some test equipment? I would contact Alltrax direct and talk about possible tests locally performed or at their factory?
If you still have your original controller you might want to install it to confirm problem.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

As a afterthought I hope that you have the AXE4845 contoller with 8 1/2" heat sink base as I find the lower amp controllers AXE 4844 6 1/2" heat sink base dont take as much hard usage over time.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

In the DCX lineup, the 400 only comes in the short body, the 500 is built on the long body
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

SCOTTYB he has a cart with a Alltrax "AXE" controller according to his post.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
jedotx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
Its sorry to say but a otherwise top quality unit like Alltrax is not sealed enough ( as is most other brands ) to stop all water damage. You most likely have done damage to your controller but at this point its hard to tell unless you have some test equipment? I would contact Alltrax direct and talk about possible tests locally performed or at their factory?
If you still have your original controller you might want to install it to confirm problem.
Thanks for the reply Old Mec. I have the 4844 short body. I will contact Alltrax about having it tested. Since I have the PQ Assassin motor do you think it is a good idea to put the stock controller back in it?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I only recommended trying stock controller to confirm possible damage to your AXE, not to use for any long period as its could be too light for PQ motor.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
jedotx
Gone Wild

Club Car

I took your advice Old Mec. But I called PQ first just to make sure they thought it was allright to do so. They said what you said that it would be alllright just to test it. With the stock controller it did not make the growling sound but the motor and the controller both got very hot still. Rick at PQ said to go ahead and pull the motor and send it to him to checkout. When I pulled the motor I found pieces of it in the housing see pictures. The motor is on the way to the good folks at PQ for evaluation. I'm going to send the controller to Alltrax also just to make sure it does not have a problem to. Word to the wise "put the darn motor compartment hatch back on when you are not working on it".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart 095.jpg (145.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg golf cart 090.jpg (156.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 06-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That's not good

A quick note on the AXE400. The 4845 is being discontinued. Recent improvements in contoller components have reduced the operating temperature in the controller to the point where the engineers are confident that the long body base is no longer needed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

thats just plain ugly.............................................8 )
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car