lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #11
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: it took it forever to charge.....

well I looked real good at it.....and although its a heavy cord, it isn't 12 ga., and I really needed/wanted a shorter cord. So after work I found a 14 ga. that was only 9' long and made it a dedicated charger cord. At least the new extension cord is larger than the cord from the charger, and since its a lot shorter now......I won't have that problem again......hopefully!! lol
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

It's a very Bad Thing to use a long cord when you don't need it, but not just because of the extra resistance: A long cord that's coiled up will act as an inductor when you pull current through it.

If you'd care to experiment, try this: When you're ready to charge your batteries, plug the charger into that long cord, leaving it coiled up except for the ends where it's connected to the wall outlet and the charger. Start the charger. After a half hour or so, check the coiled-up extension cord; I'll bet that it's at least warm, if not actually hot. The ends (uncoiled portion) will probably not be warm at all.

Pulling a very light load through the cord won't do it, your cart batteries must be discharged enough to make the charger "work".

Please let us know the results.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #13
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunmyer View Post
It's a very Bad Thing to use a long cord when you don't need it, but not just because of the extra resistance: A long cord that's coiled up will act as an inductor when you pull current through it.

If you'd care to experiment, try this: When you're ready to charge your batteries, plug the charger into that long cord, leaving it coiled up except for the ends where it's connected to the wall outlet and the charger. Start the charger. After a half hour or so, check the coiled-up extension cord; I'll bet that it's at least warm, if not actually hot. The ends (uncoiled portion) will probably not be warm at all.

Pulling a very light load through the cord won't do it, your cart batteries must be discharged enough to make the charger "work".

Please let us know the results.
well to be honest, it was always coiled up and hanging on the wall.....but since I just bought a properly sized cord that is EXACTLY the length needed, I won't be using my long cord for the cart anymore.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #14
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I've seen extension cords on RVs that were mostly coiled up, plugged in, and feeding the air conditioner. And were actually melted. (!)
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #15
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunmyer View Post
I've seen extension cords on RVs that were mostly coiled up, plugged in, and feeding the air conditioner. And were actually melted. (!)
just one more reason to have gotten the proper sized and length cord so that can't/won't happen. NOW, the cod is laid out in a straight line from outlet to the charger.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #16
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I've always wanted to hang mine from the ceiling, right next to the garage door opener, which is convenient to where I park it. The cord would easily reach the garage door opener outlet.

Retractable cord would also be kewl.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Or you can extend the DC output cord.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #18
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Great suggestion. In my case, neither is necessary, as the first thing I do when I buy a house is add a TON of outlets. I have a good place for mine. Still would like the DC cord to be above, and not on the floor, but that's WAY down on my to-do list.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #19
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I've always wanted to hang mine from the ceiling, right next to the garage door opener, which is convenient to where I park it. The cord would easily reach the garage door opener outlet.

Retractable cord would also be kewl.
now I didn't think about that.....all I would need is to make a small platform to put it on......but then again....I would still need to extend the length of the DC Output cord as my garage ceilings are kind if high......but its a thought!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #20
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I have 14' ceilings in my 3 car garage, but the bottom of my garage door opener is only 8-1/2' from the floor. No need to be any higher than that, and all cords would reach, in my garage.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO