lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2018, 08:07 PM   #21
grantspec
Getting Wild

Default Re: Grantspec’s Yamaha G9 Rebuild

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing the clutch/transmission noise?

Also - I removed the broken motor shroud to replace it and the cooling fins were pretty caked with dirt. Going to pull the other shroud to clean before reassembling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grantspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2018, 08:13 PM   #22
Lancejustin
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantspec View Post
Anyone have any ideas what could be causing the clutch/transmission noise?

Also - I removed the broken motor shroud to replace it and the cooling fins were pretty caked with dirt. Going to pull the other shroud to clean before reassembling.

Hard to tell in video. I hear it but, it also sounds like the dif. Did you ever check the oil level and/or change it?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Lancejustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:17 PM   #23
grantspec
Getting Wild

Default Grantspec’s Yamaha G9 Rebuild

Yes I did change it once I got the cart back together. Although, I drove it around a small amount before tearing the cart down for paint. Little did I know the diff had almost no oil it. [emoji17]

I will double check the oil level but I’m confident it is ok because I don’t see it leaking out anywhere.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:33 PM   #24
G1-G9
LIFE IS TAKING FOREVER

Yamaha

I would check your spring and make sure that its in there correct.
G1-G9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:53 PM   #25
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Make sure the clip did not fail and push the spring perch into the trans case. Check the shaft for play/etc. Some of the clutch parts are not the best, are light and not as durable as yami parts. Great project you done good! You could always clear it, though I would spray a little color on and then clear it just to be safe. Its hard to spray wet when you don't have practice.

Yeah and I need to do my seat soon, thanks for the tip!
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:59 PM   #26
grantspec
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Make sure the clip did not fail and push the spring perch into the trans case. Check the shaft for play/etc. Some of the clutch parts are not the best, are light and not as durable as yami parts. Great project you done good! You could always clear it, though I would spray a little color on and then clear it just to be safe. Its hard to spray wet when you don't have practice.

Yeah and I need to do my seat soon, thanks for the tip!

Thanks, sho! When I installed the new secondary I removed the clip and installed the revised splined spacer. I think I bought this particular clutch kit from Vegas carts. I’m wondering if maybe I didn’t get the spacer on all the way or maybe it’s backwards. I think this weekend I’ll take it apart and inspect.

As for the seat covers... I used marine grade Molly staples and bought a $19 pneumatic stapler from harbor freight. It’s a lot of stapling so I highly recommend the pneumatic if you don’t already have one and he harbor freight unit works great.

I love the cart and can’t wait to get all the kinks worked out. It easily hits 20 mph as it is with the governor bypassed. As soon as I get it back on the road I’m going to order a rear seat kit.

Future plans are to do a lift kit and some wheels and tires. When/if the stock motor gives out I would eventually like to do a big block swap. But for now it actually runs really well for as neglected as it was when I got it.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:34 PM   #27
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Yes the spacer is a good idea. If you have gear noise that is bad, could be bearings you can replace them, its just a project to get apart. If its gears that is not good sometimes you can get a HS gear set if its those gears but that is $300...but you do get a HS gears to play with that is around +10mph. If its the input shaft that seems to be the worst problem to have, may as well find another trans unless someone found a solution, I've not seen one yet. But I put bearings and HS gears in a CC that fixed it good, it was run out of oil, and it went 28mph gps hitting the limiter, gears were quiet as could be. Run out of oil usually something in the top goes dry first. Or it could be in an axle. Eliminate everything else first, such as clutch parts and so on.

I have a electric arrow, but air tools are fun too.

I put a lot of miles on mine stock engine, ran a umax spring and cut sheave, and HD kevlar belt from CPP. You need more help with big tires. Lots of fun. More fun now with a cammed clone in it, but even stock it was fun.

I think the spacer goes on the way it goes on further, the splines facing clutch. Should see the snap ring slot about even with it however its on there.

You can jack the cart up and do the ear test, listen in different areas with a rod or something.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:04 PM   #28
grantspec
Getting Wild

Haven’t made any progress on the transmission/clutch. But I did fix my cooling issues. When I removed the shroud to replace it I noticed the fins were caked with dirt and grass. Check it out:

I’m really glad the motor didn’t overheat and give up the ghost before I noticed it. I did a fair amount of driving like this.

Here it is after cleaning:

And here it is all buttoned up with the new rear shroud:

Next thing to tackle is the noisy transmission going to pull it all apart to inspect.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:59 PM   #29
G1-G9
LIFE IS TAKING FOREVER

Yamaha

Looking good Grant.
G1-G9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:17 PM   #30
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Oh yeah I had to do that too, if that cover leaks just a little it will fill it right up again. I took it off to check lash and it leaked, had to clean it, then I skinned it with sealer when I put it back on to make sure it was sealed.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha