lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2022, 11:52 PM   #1
BBMACK
Not Yet Wild

Default Vanguard 23hp Throttle and Governor Cables

Looking For advice on how to correctly connect the cables on my Vanguard swap. I have a big block mounting plate kit, and a 23 hp model
# 386447-0090-G1
The Cart is 98 Ezgo TXT, and i want to use the original throttle/Gov mount on the real axle. I have the Original cart Throttle Cable connected to the orig point on the rear axle. But i'm Struggling with the Best way and how to Connect the "return cable" to the Vanguard Carb.
First thought was to connect it to the same point that the Factory Vanny throttle was. But i want to protect my investment by keeping the Gov in the Loop. But not sure if by using the Rear axle setup i need to remove the Vanny Gov and connect directly to the Vanny Carb rod
See pics,.... #82 is the Factory Vanny throttle mount. # 83 is a wider view. #85 is the throttle rod itself .
FYI the white marked cable is the "return cable"
thanks in advance for the Advice BBMACK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5882.jpg (211.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5883.jpg (217.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5885.jpg (202.1 KB, 0 views)
BBMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2022, 08:11 AM   #2
BBMACK
Not Yet Wild

Question Re: Vanguard 23hp Throttle and Governor Cables

Update
Does anyone have info about why my motor has a backfire/miss. I have New 23 vanny in 98 EZGO TXT. And it runs great. With out motor or cart gov, i do have mini tach.
I get a “piff”. As if a Valve isn’t all the way closed before the plug fires. It at what i call “slack” throttle. Push throttle slightly it stops,… let off throttle it stops. Rpm isn’t specific to the issue
Old 04-24-2022, 01:50 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Vanguard 23hp Throttle and Governor Cables

Stock these all have comp release, so if it idles too low it will start missing that is normal. Other than that the carbs kind of suck and its hard to get them to work well like say a motorcycle would. They can have flat spots, usually are too lean, are worse if you use a free flow exhaust or do mods on the engine. But most of them you can adjust one way or another. I made an intake for my clone and run a 30mm pumper slide carb on it.

See if they can move this post to big block that is better for vanguard questions.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 11:56 PM   #4
BBMACK
Not Yet Wild

Sho305
many thanks your Description makes real sense, to the physical performance.

I have asked the Admin to assist if i have it mis posted. But have not heard back from them. Would you have any guidance on how i can repost it to big block arena?
BBMACK
Old 04-26-2022, 06:48 AM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

One of the single best mods for these engines is a Mikuni carb upgrade. With the 34mm VM style carb I was able to get the engine to idle at 900 rpm with super crisp throttle response, and quite a bit more power than the stock carb. Throttle linkage was tricky with that carb though. I ended up making a bell crank setup to even out the difference in throw between the pedal and carb slide. It worked out great. It's a bit of work, but worth it if you have the patience. It's not a bolt on and go deal.

With that said, I have seen plenty of guys on here with the 2 barrel setup that say it works fine. When I ran mine, I loosened the governor shaft so the linkage would slide on it, basically eliminating the pull of the governor. Then just used various springs to get the right tension, it worked well, just never got it to run like I wanted it to.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!