lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2022, 06:34 PM   #1
jaywinner
Not Yet Wild

Default Just stops running then restarts

My 96 ezgo 350 robins will just die like key turns off, then starts right back up. Sometimes it will need a jump sometimes sometimes it does not. I do not think it is fuel. It like the starter needs an extra boost.
jaywinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-04-2022, 06:59 AM   #2
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Just stops running then restarts

what batty is in it
Leon willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 05:33 AM   #3
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm betting loose wire connection, or bad ground. These aren't like cars or lawn mowers that keep running once they are running. They need constant battery voltage while running. It is fed through a pedal micro-switch and the key, to the solenoid, through an ignitor and over to the coil.

If all connections are good, it is possible the voltage regulator is bad and you are pushing too much voltage out of the starter/generator when running which will make them run bad and die, but if it is intermittent, ie: loose wire, maybe fixing the "loose" resolves it.

If you periodically have to jump it, I would check the battery next time it needs to be jumped...possibly just that, a bad battery.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:57 AM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

First thing I would check is the battery positive and negative terminal connections. Remove them from the battery and make them and the battery postsn nice and shiny clean. If that does not solve it, then move on to grounds and all large cables and terminals. If you are competent with a VOM meter you can test for voltage drop at all these point too. The fact that you say it sometimes needs a jump to start leads me to the battery connections and maybe the battery itself is failing and needs replacing.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 02:40 PM   #5
jaywinner
Not Yet Wild

New battery. Battery is at 12.5 volts run it for 10 minutes stop then it will not even turn over, battery is then at 13.6 volts. wait 10 minutes will start right up and then repeat. I already replaced all grounding bolts, replaced regulator, coil, ignitor, carb, fuel pump. This was a barn find that I have been working on for 6 months.
Old 05-05-2022, 02:54 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I’m with JP. Sounds like a bad ground somewhere to me.

I’d take off both battery terminals and clean the inside of the terminal itself. I’ve had dirt build up before between the post and the terminal and cause a bad connection under load. Took me a minute to find that one

Check where your ground straps (should be 2 coming off the neg terminal I believe). Make sure both are clean with no rust or corrosion.

Also remove the vertical “plate” that holds the solenoid, ignitor, etc. should be 2 bolts going down through the plate it mounts to. These are really common to build up rust and corrosion between them. And this IS the ground for some of these electronics. Clean it up good with a wire wheel and resecure. It wouldn’t hurt to run a separate ground strap to a clean point on that plate itself either. Just run a piece of 10 gauge wire straight from the negative battery terminal, drill a small hole up in the corner somewhere and nut/bolt it on. Sand off the paint on the side the ring terminal goes. Once it’s all tight and secure you can spray a little spray paint over it to keep it from rusting there.

I’d start with this. It won’t cost you anything and may make all the difference in the world
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 02:57 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Oh wait a minute… if battery is at 13.6v after running for 10 minutes, what voltage is it ar WHILE it’s running? Hook up a meter and put it in neutral and rev the engine a bit. Let us know what it’s charging at while running. You may have a bad voltage regulator and the cart is shutting down due to high voltage.

If it’s over about 14.5-15 volts then I’d refrain from running the cart until you can get a replacement. Don’t want to cook the ignitor or other electronics, they’re not easy to find replacement s
Old 05-05-2022, 03:02 PM   #8
jaywinner
Not Yet Wild

sits at 14.5volt did not get over 14.55 volts
Old 05-05-2022, 03:10 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywinner View Post
sits at 14.5volt did not get over 14.55 volts

Check your grounds.

Just saw your last post also, you changed a lot of parts. Put the original electrical parts back on coil, ignitor, etc. the aftermarket parts for these are absolute garbage. You may be chasing your own tail because of crap Chinese parts.

What fuel pump did you get? I’ve had aftermarket $10 fuel pumps work for 10 minutes and then quit. After it sits a bit they work again for a short time and quit. You can get a genuine mikuni “Briggs and Stratton” fuel pump on Amazon for about $20. Exact same fuel pump as OEM it just has a tiny little Briggs logo tooled into the front.

Aftermarket carbs also not never work right. I’d take the original mikuni apart and give it a good cleaning. You can reuse the gaskets and stuff from the cheapie but I wouldn’t put a lot of faith into anything else. It’s
Old 05-05-2022, 03:35 PM   #10
jaywinner
Not Yet Wild

When it stops if I jump it right away it starts right up it is like the starter needs an extra boost. or if I wait 10 minutes does not need jump will start
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO