lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2022, 05:49 PM   #21
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Just stops running then restarts

Fuse to pedal switch to key switch to solenoid to ground
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2022, 06:22 PM   #22
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

My money is on the pedal switch. Overide this, the starter should then spin as soon as you turn on the ignition switch. Run it like this and see if the cart still dies. If not replace the pedal switch.
Having said that, when it dies, try chasing the activation circuit for continuity of power from fuse through pedal switch, ign switch to solenoid. Or work backward. When it dies, look for power at the blue wire on the solenoid with ignition on and pedal pushed. If no power, follow back through activation circuit until you find power. If there is always power on the blue wire, suspect failing solenoid or bad ground.

Edit.
I just read the whole thread again. You said it was a barn find. How long had it sat unused? Any moisture in the pedal box would cause corrosion over time in the pedal micro switch and that would give an intermittent fault in the activation circuit, as would the ign switch and possibly solenoid. Also corrosion between the frame and solenoid mounting plate. Just replacing bolts and cables would not cure that!

Simple question now. Before these tests are done, may I ask if when it dies and does not turn over straight away, can you hear the solenoid click when you push the pedal? If the solenoid clicks but the starter does not spin, then I would be looking at the solenoid failing. As CP241 says, if parts are not OEM, they tend to fail quickly or not work right out of the box. Although you have not said you have replaced the solenoid, I would still check it. A simple test here would be to check for power on the output of the solenoid when the cart is dead when you push the pedal and the solenoid clicks. I will remind you that if the solenoid is not passing power, you will have no starter operating and you would have no ignition.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 08:11 AM   #23
jaywinner
Not Yet Wild

I have no idea how long it sat, a long time I think, looks like it was rarely used. seats in great shape no mud or dirt on engine. No clicking at solenoid. I put on the old ignitor box; cat would turn over but no spark. I will trace the circuit I want to thank everyone for their help. Please don't stop I must sign off for 10 days to go camping I shall return
jaywinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 08:42 AM   #24
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Have a good time away. Obviously the igniter was the original problem so I would re fit all the other original parts and see if it runs with the replacement igniter still. The less non OEM parts on the cart the better.
Old 05-22-2022, 12:23 PM   #25
jaywinner
Not Yet Wild

I am back for a few days. So after it won't turnover using the foot peddle all I have to do is jump across the solenoid and it turns right over and runs. If I come to a stop when driving and it is cold, starts right up most times if it does not I just jump across solenoid and I'm off and running PLEASE HELP
Old 05-22-2022, 06:19 PM   #26
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywinner View Post
I am back for a few days. So after it won't turnover using the foot peddle all I have to do is jump across the solenoid and it turns right over and runs. If I come to a stop when driving and it is cold, starts right up most times if it does not I just jump across solenoid and I'm off and running PLEASE HELP
You have excellent ezgo techs trying to help.

Cartmaster mentioned this but I never saw your reply. Maybe I missed it but here is the question again he asked.

When it dies, look for power at the blue wire on the solenoid with ignition on and pedal pushed. If no power, follow back through activation circuit until you find power. If there is always power on the blue wire, suspect failing solenoid or bad ground.

This is a very simple test that should help resolve your problem or help narrow it down. Does the blue wire going to solenoid have voltage on it when you have the issue you are having ?
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:05 PM   #27
jaywinner
Not Yet Wild

thats next. Question if it was a bad ground would I be able to jump across solenoid. Thats what's puzzling me.
Old 05-22-2022, 10:29 PM   #28
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quote:
thats next. Question if it was a bad ground would I be able to jump across solenoid. Thats what's puzzling me.
The simple answer is YES.

If the solenoid is not seeing ground, it cannot activate. Does the solenoid click when you push the pedal when it will not start? If not it is either the small terminal with the black wire not seeing ground. The small terminal with blue wire not seeing 12 volts when the pedal is pushed, or the solenoid activation coil has failed.
If the ground appears suspect on the solenoid, simply remove the black wire and replace it with a longer wire directly to battery negative. If the problem goes away, redo your ground connections including removing the mounting plate and cleaning between that and the frame. If the problem still exists after changing the wire, then the activation circuit or solenoid is suspect.

As an aside. You should not use a battery booster on your cart as you will eventually fry the igniter module.
Old 05-25-2022, 07:42 AM   #29
jaywinner
Not Yet Wild

Power at the blue wire, no power at solenoid I just ordered one. Will see what happens. The biggest challenge I have found it good parts. Seems like if they come from China, it is really hit or miss with more misses. Now the parts from Korea so far have been pretty good. The ignitor box from Korea
weighted 4 grams more than the one from China, I have no clue what that means.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:48 AM   #30
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Power at the blue wire, no power at solenoid I just ordered one. Will see what happens. The biggest challenge I have found it good parts. Seems like if they come from China, it is really hit or miss with more misses. Now the parts from Korea so far have been pretty good. The ignitor box from Korea
weighted 4 grams more than the one from China, I have no clue what that means.
There is another small terminal right next to the one the blue wire connects to. That is the ground terminal. Take a jumper wire and connect it to negative side of battery and on that terminal. Push pedal and see what happens.
Just google country cat and you will find the one you want. You might pay more but its worth it. These are OEM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgo dealer solenoid.jpg (36.2 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO