lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2022, 10:55 AM   #1
1pack71
Not Yet Wild

Default 1994 Club Car sputter/wont start/backfires. A mixed bag of tricks

Hi everyone, my dad has been trying to repair his cart for years now . Several mechanics later the thing still doesn't run proper and no one can figure it out. Its very erratic, Sometimes its hard to start, sometimes its ok. It turn over no problems just doesn't start. Other times it starts fine but acts up (sputters) after a couple of holes of golf. It sometimes back fires and sometimes sputters. Sometimes it will run ok for a few days or even a week or so. The plug is always consistently blackish(seems too rich).
The carb has been replaced twice, the ignitor replaced , the rev limiter bypassed. New fuel pump, no leaks , good compression, Air system clean and no blockage. I thought it might be the ignition coil which we may check/replace this weekend. I was reading up on how to replace it and I was a little lost as to how the ignitor works in relation to the ignition coil. The ignitor only has one cable coming off of it and its suppose to be sending a small current to the ignitor to get bumped up in voltage for the plug. I don't understand how that works based on the fact there is only one wire from it joining to the rev limiter. (seems like that would be to ground itself out via the RPM limiter eventually going to ground connector).
Any help regarding what the issues may be or/and some education regarding he ignitor would be greatly appreciated
1pack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2022, 11:16 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 1994 Club Car sputter/wont start/backfires. A mixed bag of tricks

Ease off the parts cannon

These engines are very basic and simple. There isn’t much that can or does go wrong with them.

First when it won’t start, remove the plug and hold it against a valve cover bolt and crank the engine. What color is the spark? Yellow? White? Blue? What spark plug are you using?

When is the last time the valves were adjusted? .004 intake and exhaust

Have you checked compression? What is it?

With the key off, slowly press the gas pedal there’s a black box under the seat with some microswitches in it. Do those microswitches click before, or after the carb butterfly linkage starts to move?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:06 PM   #3
1pack71
Not Yet Wild

Thanks CP241.

lol
All these parts were replaced by mechanics over the years of trying to get this thing running good.

So we checked a few things
spart seemed bleuish I think it was steady than sorta intermittent. using the NGK BPR5es (whichever one the manual said to use, however my dad tried the BPR4es(hotter plug with no success. The plug was gapped to .028 as per manual.

Adjusted the valves to .004 both intake and exhaust

Checked compression, he had like 160psi

Microswitch clicking occurs before the butterfly starts opening

After thinking the spark was a little erratic, we went ahead and replaced the ignition coil since he had a new one anyways. After the replacement, there is no spark at all and therefore dosent even start for 4 holes. We gapped the air space to .012 as per manual.

I will bring it in my garage and take apart again, not sure what we did wrong as it was pretty straight forward.

This thing has been a nightmare for many years now. i am hoping to be able to help my dad and get it going with the help of this forum, thanks for your help again.

SP
Old 05-21-2022, 11:54 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Start with trying this.

Did you use an oem coil or an aftermarket? I don’t know if anyone that’s had good luck with aftermarket coils

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=157335
Old 05-23-2022, 08:20 PM   #5
1pack71
Not Yet Wild

The coil was OEM
Old 05-25-2022, 08:50 PM   #6
1pack71
Not Yet Wild

Hey CP241

I found out that my dads cart had a ignition coil with a built in Ignitor. The one ordered was no Ignitor. His Ignitor was bypassed years ago.

Is this the way to go or should one use the external Ignitor?

Also when I put the oil coil back in to figure what the heck was going on I noticed upon a better visual that the spark is yellowish in color and then switches to a thin blue and back yellow.

What should I do from here?

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:53 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If you’ve got a yellowish spark the coil is bad.

You can get a newer style coil and remove the ignitor.

Call David hicks at revolution golf cars and he can set you up right :)
Old 06-04-2022, 10:12 PM   #8
1pack71
Not Yet Wild

Replaced the ignition coil with an OEM Ignitor built in. Good spark.
Start up right away and ran great. Got back home after a 15 minute ride. Checked the plug and it was black , dry sooty. Wipes off very easy. Very black but loose not caked on.
Cleaned the carb, adjusted the valves. Carb was adjusted as per manual.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Old 06-04-2022, 11:46 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Clean the original OEM carb and put that back on.

I’ve never had any luck with aftermarket carbs. Original keihin is the best. Just give it a good cleaning, maybe use the bowl gasket from one of the aftermarket ones and call it a day.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car