lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2022, 07:21 AM   #1
JT4
Not Yet Wild

Default Motor Brush Set

2009 Club Car DS 48V
My cart was overloaded going over a bump and now seems to have a dead spot you can hear in the motor as you drive. Also now noticing a burning smell. I just ordered a brush set anything else I need to look for? Wiring seems fine.
JT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2022, 09:38 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Motor Brush Set

More than likely the motor is toast. Stalling the armature is very bad for a DC motor, and usually results in damage/melting to the commutator bars or internal shorting of the armature coils. Neither is fixable and would require replacement of the armature. Which at that point generally means just buying a new motor.

Remove it and disassemble it for inspection, but it doesn't sound like good news from here.

Shorting any of the motor cables will kill the controller. Be sure to put the cart in TOW mode and Disconnect the main battery pack Negative before doing ANY work on the motor.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 01:20 PM   #3
JT4
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for info, it still runs full speed right now so maybe I will be lucky when I open it up.
Old 05-25-2022, 07:12 PM   #4
JT4
Not Yet Wild

motor 102705001 EJ4-4001 48v 3.3hp
okay I have the motor out end cap comes off with the cummutor? to get to the brushes seems I have to press the bearing out of the end cap is this correct? all the videos I find are slightly differnt motor
Old 05-25-2022, 07:53 PM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yes - but you may be able to see the commutator and brushes well enough to assess the damage and need for repair.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:03 PM   #6
JT4
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the fast reply. I could use a puller get it apart but if I need a press to get it back together I am probably better off replacing (knowing I have a bad spot in motor). Now I see I can replace with new motor for $550 but could I send off for rebuild and end up with more tourque and a few mile an hour for similar price? I dont want to replace electronics or spend 1K and dont want to go 30 mph (goes 19 now) but with over size tires I would like to make sure I dont overload it again and a couple mph would be fine too.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:43 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

It doesn’t need to be pressed. The armature comes out of the bearing and I thin the bearing is held in the end cap with a Snap ring. There’s some lock tite on the end of the armature shaft usually to keep it from spinning in the bearing. A little persuasion with a mallet will usually get it to pop apart. You can reach in around the armature and pull the brushes back in the holders first so they don’t get hung up on the ridge on the end of the commutator.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car