lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2022, 02:40 PM   #1
schkattack1
Not Yet Wild

Default Tires_Toed_in-Need_Help

Club Car Experts- I am reaching out to all of you again for your help. I am still working on my 2010 Club Car Precedent and started installing a 6" lift kit. I have the front end done and it went fairly well. When I was close to being done I noticed the hub spindles/rods seems to be slightly forward facing and not what I would call straight out perpendicular to the body. This indicated the front tires would be toed inward and sure enough they look toed inward. See the pictures. I tried to adjust the tie-rods to move them out but there is not enough thread to do it. I backed the threads all the way out until it separated. Any thoughts on how to bring the tires out more? Do I need longer tie rods? I appreciate any help. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Club_Car_Toe_in_Tires.jpg (121.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Club_Car_Toe_in_Tires_2.jpg (112.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg tie_rod_way_Out.jpg (77.4 KB, 0 views)
schkattack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2022, 04:21 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Tires_Toed_in-Need_Help

Sounds like you need longer tie rods. Maybe there is something wrong with your lift kit install. It looks like your tire rods angle down a lot.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:38 PM   #3
schkattack1
Not Yet Wild

I have been doing some more research and maybe someone has some experience with tie rod extenders. The lift kit install went like the videos I have seen and I followed the directions as well so I am not sure about something wrong with the lift kit install but I can look at it again. All items matched up. thanks
Old 05-23-2022, 04:47 PM   #4
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Is the cart resting on the tires or have you got it on jacks? Cart needs to be sitting on it's tires with preferably you [or equivalent weight] on the seat or floorboard to set toe in.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:09 PM   #5
schkattack1
Not Yet Wild

it is resting on the tires now but it was on the jacks- I did some adjusting while it was on the jacks because they were so bad pointing inward. I am not sure how many threads I have on the tie rod that I am thinking about removing the cotter pin and removing the nuts and bolts then screwing the end of the tie rod all the way back in on both sides to start over. any thoughts on that? do you think that if I do it with the tires on the ground it will line up ok? thanks
Old 05-23-2022, 11:25 PM   #6
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

From the pics it appears that your camber is way off. Always adjust the camber [so the wheels are square to the floor] BEFORE you try to adjust the toe in. Again with your equivalent weight on the chassis.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:54 AM   #7
schkattack1
Not Yet Wild

will try that- I have the bumper off and will adjust the camber.
thanks for the reply
Old 05-24-2022, 09:54 AM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Follow the instructions for proper camber adjustment first.
To some extent incorrect Toe will make it look like the camber is wrong, but it's mostly due to the angle of the steering axis because you need for the wheels to be pointed straight ahead to get an accurate camber setting. You will probably need to make multiple small adjustments to the camber and then to the toe angle to get it correct.
Also keep in mind that when the cart is lifted and then put back on the ground the cart will have to be rolled in order for the tires to settle. Roll the cart backwards at least one full revolution of the tires, and then back forwards.

Removing the cotter pin, the castle nut, and twisting the tie rod end is a major waste of time, and a headache. Loosen the lock nut on the tie rod, and turn the tie rod itself. It has a hex section for a 12mm wrench to fit on for making toe adjustments.
If the boot tries to twist with it, remove the spring clamp and spray some silicone lube where the boot contacts the tie rod so it will be able to spin inside the boot.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:15 PM   #9
gsp041
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

David Hicks from Revolution Golf Cars, one of the site sponsors, has the information you need under the "help section" of his web page. He knows the Precedent like the back of his hand and is a good guy.
gsp041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:47 PM   #10
schkattack1
Not Yet Wild

Guys,
Thanks so much for all of your help and great responses.
It is truly very much appreciated. I gain knowledge from you
when I see the responses. The camber was way way positive and
I adjusted it 2 places then it looked a whole lot better. Real close to
what I think it should be. I will adjust the toe next after I add the new
leaf springs to the rear section. Again many thanks to all of you.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car