lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2020, 09:29 PM   #1
kozzy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 12v Converter to save radio memory

Im new to the fourms, and I see a ton of threads on this topic, but none seem to be assisting me, as the setups are much different. I have the RHOX VOLT-2005 48v to 12v converter installed in my 13 CC Precedent. It connects right to the factory harness, and the bucket harness, all plug and play. When connected, it gives me keyed power for the bucket harness ( lights), and has an extra 12v lead for other accessories, which i use for my car stereo. As you can imagine, when I turn the key off, I loose all my memory. I see people talking about relays, but Im not sure that I can use it with this converter, since it is all plug and play. I was thinking of getting a second 12v converter for just the radio. I was going to tap into the 48v+ behind the dash board, at the key, the constant side, and then use that 12v constant for the yellow power wire of the car stereo. I would then leave the red trigger wire for the car stereo hooked to the plug and play converter which I already have installed, and that is keyed. In theory, this should work. Anyone have any input on this please? I was able to order the second converter on Amazon for 22 bucks, figure that is not a bad price if this will work. Thanks
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2020, 03:54 PM   #2
kozzy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 12v Converter to save radio memory

This is also sold as the REDHAWK VOLT -0017 I guess, that is on the label I have for the unit. I need a way to get constant 12v power from it, as well as keyed, for my radio.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:39 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

If you are going to do it that way, get the smallest (10a) you can get as that will not need much just to support the memory feature.

There is no way to get a constant 12v from that Volt as it is a switched reducer. You would have to buy another with separate memory wire that bypasses the switched side internally.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:50 AM   #4
kozzy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I did that, was working good for a few days....But now I am not getting 12v out of the separate converter...I think it went bad...Going to try a replacement and see what happens. Was working great, but I wanted to re do the ground, as I was getting static on the radio...Once I did all that, and had a few sparks, I was no longer getting 12v from the second converter...
Old 05-28-2020, 07:17 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Unless you have a specific application radio, like designed to match old classic cars, there is no such a thing as a "memory wire".

The Yellow "constant power" wire provides all the power to the radio.

Since that wire gets "constant power", it also keeps the volatile memory in the Radio when the radio is OFF.

The Radio red "switched power" wire is just a low current trigger wire used to turn the Radio ON/OFF.

Your little converter may not be able to power the entire radio.

If You don't have a converter that provides both constant and switched outputs and want to use a second small converter to keep the memory, you need a 12v SPDT relay activated by the main converter that switches the Radio yellow wire (COM) from main Converter (NO) to auxiliary converter (NC).

The relay switches the power fast enough that it does not affect the Radio memory.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:27 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Most of these radios use less than 12v to maintain memory. Our 30 amp blue reducer puts out 5v for the specified radio memory connection.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:19 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Most of these radios use less than 12v to maintain memory. Our 30 amp blue reducer puts out 5v for the specified radio memory connection.
I am thinking "low voltage" is a bad Chinese translation since cars only have 12v power.

They should have said the second output provides a "low current" when the converter is OFF and full current when the converter is ON.

If that converter constant output does not provide full current when the converter is ON, the Radio would not work.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:21 PM   #8
kozzy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I replaced the bad converter and all is working well...Im getting static on the radio now, and when I wiggle the antenna wire, it goes, but then comes back that's my next issue toi tackle. I have tried 2 antennas, my next step is an amplified antenna.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car