lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2015, 11:48 PM   #1
2HawkFans
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default How to remove G1 secondary clutch

I'm doing some long overdue maintenance on my G1 cart. Repairing a rusted out battery box and replacing a broken secondary clutch spring.

I've got the nut off the secondary clutch but can't seem to get the fixed sheave off. Didn't want to get too carried away for fear of damage. Is there a trick to getting this off?

The drive clutch came apart easily and is ready to clean up. It was sticking just a little. What is the best type of grease for these clutches upon assembly? Should a light grease (white lithium) or a heavier wheel bearing type of grease be used?

Thanks for any assistance.
2HawkFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2015, 01:44 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: How to remove G1 secondary clutch

It needs to be "poped" with a stering wheel puller.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Usually only the center shaft of the clutches are greased. Anything else use drylube like graphite or carefully oil something like a pin on a weight with oil like 3 in 1 oil. You don't want any oil or grease flying around or off the clutches so be very minimal with any wet lube and clean any excess off. Normally clutches that have grease fittings you only put 1-2 pumps in them or they coat the belt and make a huge mess. G1 may not have any fittings, the secondary fitting is near the ramp base on the back side if it has, because some aftermarket parts might have them. Clutch usually on outside edge but some don't have them.

Correct use a puller they are cheap to buy and IIRC use metric bolts they come with some pullers. In an emergency you can use a thick rod (like 3/4") laid against the trans case and pound on the back (w/3lb hammer), on the thick hub part between the base of the ramps, keep rotating it, eventually it will pop, leave the nut on a couple threads, but be careful not to damage it I would recommend a puller. Also the longer it has been on there the harder they come off. If the puller is not working hit the puller bolt head and tighten a little more, repeat. Once it pops the whole thing falls off. Be careful of the little key in there, if on grass/etc put something under it to catch it like cardboard or tarp.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:29 PM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

Early 4-cycle also had no grease fitting. I dont know exactally when they started the grease fitting, but not all 4-cycle had it either.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:14 AM   #5
2HawkFans
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the replies! Very much appreciated. The wealth of knowledge here at BGW is outstanding!

I was able to get the clutches pulled, cleaned, lubed, and the new secondary spring installed. Oh...and a new belt. I can now once again drive up my loading ramps into the back of my truck without it slipping. Smoother on takeoff too, although I got used to how to feather the throttle.

Now if I only had time and $$ to get that lift kit and put on a fresh coat of paint.....

But that would mean I'd have to stop using it for a while until it was done.

Maybe that's just a sign I need a second one!
Old 09-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #6
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2HawkFans View Post

Maybe that's just a sign I need a second one!
Or even a third!
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:03 AM   #7
2HawkFans
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

My wife was about to divorce me when I came home with the first one....I don't know how she'd react to a third!!
Old 09-16-2015, 02:05 PM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

My lady was like "effen really?!" When i was talking about bringing home a fourth one. I still have three! Oh wait, i do have 4, one is on loan to my bro.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:10 PM   #9
2HawkFans
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

There you go. If you loan one or two out it won't look so bad.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:38 PM   #10
blizzrd
Gone Wild

Yamaha

so when you clean and lube a clutch up, what and where are you cleaning and what and where are you lubing?
blizzrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, removal, secondary
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha