lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #1
jozrsa
Not Yet Wild

Default No Spark on 1991 club car

When throttle pedal is depressed I get no spark but when released it gives spark. The micro switches and coil is OK and I wonder if it could be the exciter coil trigger that is faulty. If someone had a similar problem I would like to hear from you.
jozrsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2017, 03:04 PM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: No Spark on 1991 club car

Here's the main wiring diagram for your cart:
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:10 PM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

And here is your ignition circuit diagram:
Old 03-07-2017, 06:31 PM   #4
cruisinkruty
Gone Wild
Club Car

Nice info!
cruisinkruty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:04 AM   #5
jozrsa
Not Yet Wild

Hi Thanks guys the problem is that living in South Africa the cost of an exciter coil plus shipping cost is rather expensive. I am also not 100 % sure if that is causing the irregular spark
Old 03-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

When you say it gives spark when you release the pedal, what exactly do you mean by that? Can you get it to run at all? Sometimes guys will say their cart only runs when the pedal is pushed slightly, but when they push it all the way down it won't run. Also, please confirm that your cart is trying to start (turning over via the starter/generator), or if it's just completely dead (as in, nothing at all happens when you press the gas pedal).

Are you 100% sure it's a spark issue and not a fuel issue? To confirm, pull the plug out of the motor and grip it with a pair of insulated pliers. With the plug wire still attached, hold the metal part of the plug against the motor to ground it, and push your gas pedal down. You should see the plug sparking and hear it clicking while the gas pedal is depressed (and the motor tries to start). If the plug is sparking properly then look down into the combustion chamber where you took the plug out and see if the chamber is wet with un-burned fuel. Or you can just thread the plug back in, cycle the motor a few more times, then pull the plug and see if it's wet with fuel.

And welcome to the forum! Springbok Rugby fan here, from the USA.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:33 AM   #7
jozrsa
Not Yet Wild

Hi the engines turns when pedal is depressed but there is no spark until the pedal is released when I get a spark but because the engine stops turning there will be only one or two sparks and because the micro switch is grounding the ignition wire it will not start at that point. There was a post in 2016 by MFG who had the same problem and was of the opinion that it was the little pulser coil that was faulty however it could be the micro switch that cant handle the load anymore and is working the wrong way round. PS good to know the Springboks have support in the USA
Old 03-09-2017, 05:41 AM   #8
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Ok, but what I'm getting at is how do you know for sure that spark is your issue? What kind of test did you do to confirm it? I apologize if you have already 100% confirmed this via testing, but some guys on here will say what they think a problem is, and go about fixing it as if they've positively ID'ed the problem, only to find out that their problem was something else entirely.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:48 PM   #9
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't/aren't there the two micro switch in the black bx at/near the battery and doesn't the bottom one of the two located there control the black -n- white kill wire AND if this was reversed wouldn't that do what he is saying? kill the cart when he pushes down on the pedal because the top switch controls the starter/generator function and the bottom controls the start/stop?
ericandrews331@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:26 AM   #10
jozrsa
Not Yet Wild

Yes you are correct and have replaced the bottom switch with a new one and they are connected to the tabs according the circuit diagram are operating as they should do. I am putting in a new exciter and pulse coil and hopefully that will solve my problem.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car