lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2017, 08:30 AM   #1
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Driven Clutch Question

Hi all, quick question on my driven clutch. I have been losing power going up hills and have come to the conclusion my driven clutch needs rebuilt. I read somewhere here in the forum that if I could grab a flange on the clutch in one hand and the other flange on the other and could twist them in the opposite direction that the ramp buttons are shot which I can do easily. I'm sure nothing has ever been done to the clutch and the cart is a '92 so...

I was thinking of putting on a heavier spring and a 28 degree Helix instead of the stock 36 degree. Question is will the 28 degree make my cart lose speed on the top end?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Barnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #2
guyboy1970
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Driven Clutch Question

"This is an alternative mod for those who don't want to spend the big bucks on on buying the 28deg clutch

The 28 degree driven clutch comes standard on the ST utility trucks, it is made for load hauling and pulling power, and to compensate for larger tires. I can't think of any cons at all to it, it's really the best way to improve your low end power. If you don't feel like spending alot for a 28deg clutch you can change just the cam on the 36 degree driven clutch to a 28 degree cam. This is provided your clutch is in good shape to start with. check to see which cam your driven clutch already has before buying the parts for this mod. the normal txt clutch cam has 36 degree ramps on the cam, it will have a 36 stamped on the back of them (closest part to the rear end housing). The 28deg and has 28 stamped on it. The steeper angle on the cam makes it harder for the clutch to open thus keeping it in a lower gear longer.

The 28 degree cam, and buttons can be bought from ezgo.
E-Z-GO part #'s are
1 each - 72329-G01 Cam
3 each - 72324-G01 Button
use 120 degrees of preload, and the middle spring setting."
guyboy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #3
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think I'm calling it the Helix and you're calling it the cam. Is this the part that you're referring too?

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/ezgo-he...clutch%20helix

Also what about the spring? I would think that over the years of use it would have weakened to some degree and while I have it apart I might as well replace that with this:

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/ezgo-po...lutch%20spring

I've never had one of these apart but I think when you say put the spring in the middle hole (middle spring setting) at least that's what I am assuming you may be talking about, maybe you're referring to the 4cycle clutch??? Mine is the 3pg and this spring is flat without the little bent ends that would fit in any hole. I hope I made that understandable, lol.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:22 PM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I don't believe the older Marathon Driven can be converted to 28deg like the TXT clutches can, they're entirely different - 92 was a strange year though, and it will depend on which style driven You have ... Cam/Helix = same thing, BTW. That said, replacing the buttons and spring plus a shorter belt (total cost under $100, shop around) will breathe some SERIOUS new life into that cart
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:13 PM   #5
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I guess, from what their ad says, that cam will fit '89 and newer. Before I buy I'll call them and make sure that it will fit mine.

Also, would you happen to know if doing what I'm planning will take away from my top end speed?

Thanks.

Oh also one of the reasons I'm thinking about the cam is I'm afraid that mine may not be in to good of shape. I'm pretty sure that my buttons are shot and I don't know what (if) any damage would be done to the cam itself from running it that way.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:41 PM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Your top end will lose about 1mph with a shorter belt, but doing the 28deg conversion doesn't change anything, just the rate that the clutch operates, keeping it in the powerband longer.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:42 PM   #7
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Okay that's great, thank you!
Old 10-03-2019, 08:40 AM   #8
Bondohead
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a 92. how can i find out if i can convert it?
if i cant can i just get one for standard st utility or some thing else?
thanks
Bondohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:08 PM   #9
Activate
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Also interested to know...
Activate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:25 AM   #10
Activate
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So it would also not a problem to use a shorter belt on the 28 degree clutch?

Thanks and greetings,

Erik.
Activate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, driven, helix
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO