lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2018, 11:46 PM   #1
ronwguy
Not Yet Wild

Default 1997 carryall

Have a cc carryall. FE290 engine.Motor turns over but dont start New ignition coil and carburetor, blue spark at plug. Plug is new as well. unplugged rev limiter and still nothing. Compression is at 110 psi, below spec. Would that be a show stopper on this cart? Considering I have fuel and fire that all I can deduct. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
ronwguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2018, 12:24 AM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: 1997 carryall

Are you sure you have fuel?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:05 AM   #3
ronwguy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Are you sure you have fuel?
I have even sprayed gas in the intake. Old carb was clogged and I just replaced it. You can smell gas when trying to crank it. The compression requirement shows I think 156 or so and I have 110. Think I'm going to pick up some starting fluid to see if that works. If it does I'm not sure where to go from there..

Old 10-22-2018, 07:49 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I'd start with cleaning the OEM carb. The cheap aftermarket ones arent worth anything except maybe the gaskets when you clean the OEM one real well.

Same for the ignition coil. Is it OEM Kawasaki or aftermarket Chinese junk? What did you set the air gap to when you installed the coil?

While far from great, it should still run on 110psi. Maybe not *great* but should run. Did you buy it like this, or have you owned it for a while and now it quit running. How long has it sat being unused? Many times if they sit for a while, xinpreasion will be low. But those will come up a good bit once they've been run a bit. I'm thinking Something else is missing here or being overlooked.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:26 AM   #5
ronwguy
Not Yet Wild

I'm working in it for someone. I know it hs sat up for a bit. The crib was gummed up. The ignition coil is set to .012. Will the rev limiter keep it for starting at all?

Old 10-22-2018, 08:28 AM   #6
ronwguy
Not Yet Wild

Sorry sell check crazy on my phone. I have the after market carb on it as well as the ignition coil.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:32 AM   #7
ronwguy
Not Yet Wild

It seems as if the rev limiter could be a culprit. I say that because it seems to fire on the first revolution of the motor but that's it. I have the muffler off it and a blue flame comes out the exhaust when I first turn the motor over but nothing after that until I try it again after turning the key off and back on.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:59 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Disconnect the ground wire from the bolt on the rev limiter and see if it runs. Leave everything else hooked up, the power feed for the ignition coil runs through the rev limiter wiring, so just disconnect the ground (i believe it's brown) an see if it runs. If so, then you know that's bad. I wouldn't run it much without the limiter, but it's a good diagnostic aid.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:07 AM   #9
ronwguy
Not Yet Wild

I tried that earlier but I unplugged the black wire going to it. I'll take the one that I think is white,may have been replaced at some point. It under a mount bolt. I'll let you know if it works. Thanks for your input.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Whats the serial number on the cart?
Early and mid 90's carts had separate igniter from the coil that could fail. It's a little silver square with one wire going to it. Mounted behind the rev limiter, unless someone moved it. If it has the igniter that has to be connected and working to spark properly.
Most people remove them and install the newer coil that has the igniter built in.
This can also cause some problems for the transition year carts because either coil (external vs internal igniter) can be installed on the same engine.
If you have the external igniter coil, and install a coil with an internal igniter, and the external igniter is still connected you will not get proper spark.
If you have the internal igniter coil, but install the old style coil that needs the external igniter, you will not get proper spark.
Best thing to do is to install the newer coil with internal igniter, and remove the old igniter from the cart.

Get an OE Kawasaki Coil. Aftermarket coils are junk. You might have a bad one right out of the box. If it works now, you'll be replacing it again in a few months.

There's no power going to the coil. It's a magneto coil, the magnet on the flywheel induces the field which creates the spark. The black wire from the coil is a ground wire for the kill circuit. With the black wire disconnected, when the motor starts it will not stop running until you ground the wire. This can be used to test if the kill circuit is working properly on the cart.

The Rev limiter grounds the kill circuit if it counts too many sparks (high RPM). The rev limiter ground is the brown wire with the eyelet on the end bolted to the mounting bracket. Remove the brown wire and tape the end so it can't touch anything. If it runs with the brown wire disconnected the rev limiter is bad. They're mega expensive, only available through Club car. Most people just leave them disconnected.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car