lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2018, 06:26 PM   #11
sdeatherage
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help!!!! Ezgo gas issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
I agree with CP241.

I would also replace all the fuel lines if they are original and make sure clamps are tight, if the clamps look bad replace them.

The engine will run with 120 pounds of compression but not top notch. More compression the better it runs. You should look to have 170 pounds if you want top performance.

Might be time for a rebuild if you gauge is accurate. Check it with another one if you can.

If you are worried about the pump then remove the line going to carburetor . Stick hose in a can or bottle and see what kind of flow you have. Look close at all the fuel hoses like I mentioned. The fuel pickups on these things were bad to come lose and fall in tank. Make sure yours is tight.

Nice cart by the way. Every plan on getting rid of it I would be interested if you don't want to rework engine. That is if the compression is really 120 pounds.
Thanks for all the suggestions Im wanting this thing fixed so I appreciate the help. So the new pump will be here tomorrow but I work. So it will be Wednesday before I can work on it again. Before I install the new pump ill check the old one with a bottle like you suggested. Then if I think its bad I can install the new one and see if there is any difference.

I really need to try another compression gauge because turning the motor over by hand is extremely hard. I always think to myself this thing has really good compression. Also I've never noticed it smoking but I'm not looking for it either. I'm not happy to hear the compression is on the low side though.

I think since I have it apart I'll take the suggestion and replace the hoses they look original.

Hopefully I'll have some good news Wednesday afternoon sometime.

Steve
sdeatherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #12
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo gas issue

Any reason your are turning the engine over by hand and not starter ? Maybe I didn't understand your post.
If it does not smoke then I am betting your compression is good. Make sure your battery is charged and spin that thing over using a good compression gauge. Post back your results. Tom
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:55 AM   #13
sdeatherage
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help!!!! Ezgo gas issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
You usually do not see much fuel in the filter if any, so that may not be indicating a problem. Looking at your fuel pump, there is a small filter built in that you can see in the picture (looks like lots of tiny brass balls inside a raised ring) that looks clogged up to me. Give it a good clean out with carb cleaner and an airline and do as previously suggested, remove the hose from the carb and point it into a jug. then spin the engine and see if you get a strong continuous pulse of fuel coming out of the hose. Maybe do this test before and after cleaning that little filter and see if it make a difference. The filter allows air to pass which allows the pump diaphram to fluctuate and operate the pump valves. If dirty and no air is allowed to pass, then the pump will be weak.

As trig, says, the cart should run at 120 psi, but not well, so if your guage is accurate, try putting a little oil ( a spoonfull) down the plug holes and test again. If the compression rises significantly, then your rings are shot. If there is no change, then suspect valves or head gasket to be the problem. either way, at 120 psi, you are looking at an overhaul.
So here’s the latest. I am disgusted to say the least. This morning I adjusted the valves cold and set them to .003 because some long time ezgo guy said to try that. I made sure in both sides of the rocker arm I could get a .003 feller in and I could. They are set perfect at .003.

I installed another new set of plugs just rule that out.

I installed a brand new ezgo brand fuel pump.

All new fuel lines including the prime pulse line to the fuel pump. I even put my Finger on the line and spun it over and could fee it. I installed a vacuum guage and it registered on the gauge.

I adjust the carb linkage to make sure the micro switch activated before the throttle blade moves.

Fire it up and ran around the block and it was super weak. Doesn’t miss but ran like it was running real rich. I was about 3/4 throttle and maybe 10 mph were normally that would be really fast.

So in the last week new air filter, fuel filter, fuel pump, all new fuel lines, ignition coil, cleaned the carb, adjusted valves and it’s a turd.

The good news I bought a 2019 Ezgo express L6 Gas Cart 6 seater. My kids are super happy. But I’m stuck still trying to figure out this old cart.

Other than ordering a new carb I’m at my wits end. Look at the picture of the fuel filter that’s immediately after running it around my block. It’s very low but I think it’s actually okay it has fuel in the bottom of the filter. I mounted it vertical to get it closer to the block hoping it would function better with a shorter supply line.
sdeatherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:52 PM   #14
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Ezgo gas issue

Have you checked compression again? Sounds like you've addressed about everything else...

There are 2 sets of rings on a piston. One set is for compression. The other set controls oil. This is why you can have an engine that smokes like a train but still runs great. You can also have the opposite true, it doesn't smoke but has no power due to low compression.

I'd check compression and compare to the new rig.

New cart looks very nice!
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO